What is your role as First Year Coordinator?
I belong to the Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences in the School of Nursing and Midwifery. As a First Year Coordinator, I support each of the First Year Unit Coordinators to deliver a quality education experience. I help blend threads of content between units to help students see links between each unit. More importantly, I provide support to first year students as they need it. I try to anticipate times of stress and provide support at these times, as well as offer support throughout the semester. I help students apply for special consideration and develop strategies to succeed in their first year at Monash.
We are so proud of all of our students for their engagement in our online teaching delivery! It is fantastic to see how students are helping each other out - creating study groups online, contributing to our discussion forums and asking lots of questions - keep up the engagement!
What top tips would you give first year students to have a successful year at Monash?
- Success is made through consistency and organisation! Even Einstein wouldn't have been successful if he was disorganised.
- Develop a study planner early in the semester. Set times for study and rest. Make sure you have a planner that includes all of your assessment task due dates.
- Connect with friends and family regularly - our social connections are really important.
- Stay engaged in your units - attend the online Zoom sessions so that you have an opportunity to work with fellow students.
- Reach out for help early! We are very experienced with helping students adjust to first year university - so tap into our experience and ask for help!
What's your favourite hobby?
My favourite hobby is participating in spin (bike) classes and watching horror movies - I can't explain it but I get the same rush from both!
How can students reach out to you if they would like to connect with you?
Students can reach out to connect with me through a variety of methods. They can call my office phone +61 3 9904 4017 (even during the working from home period!) or send me an email (James.Bonnamy@monash.edu). I can offer support over the phone, email or through an online Zoom session. I can arrange for Zoom sessions with myself and the other Unit Coordinators as required. Even though we are practicing social distancing, we are not isolated - support is still available!