Diversity and Inclusion Achievements 2018-2021
Our previous Diversity and Inclusion Framework 2018-2021, guided by the strategic plan Focus Monash 2015-2020, saw the University aspire for a community that is diverse, inclusive, innovative and sustainable, upheld in both value and practice by every Monash staff member and student. This Framework was accompanied by six action plans:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Staff and Students,
- Staff and students from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds,
- Staff and students of diverse genders, sexes and sexualities,
- Staff and students with disability, ongoing medical or mental health conditions,
- Gender equality and equity, and
- Students from low socio-economic backgrounds.
As a University, we've taken great strides and made many key achievements across the six action plans, between 2018-2021.
Staff and student experience
We are continuously seeking to evolve and develop our understanding of the staff and student experience at Monash. We actively seek a diversity of perspectives and welcome feedback from all members of our community. To further improve our equity, diversity and inclusion practice, our community members can:
- Complete the biennial Staff Equity and Diversity Survey
- Attend workshops and other opportunities for staff to share their experiences
- Students can contact Respectful Communities to share their feedback and experiences
We are committed to the prevention of sexual and gender-based violence at Monash, and are actively engaging with current data and recommendations to ensure we are leading the sector in prevention and response:
- The annual release of sexual assault and harassment data
- National Student Safety Survey (2021) Report, including Monash-specific results and subsequent responses
- Change the Course (2016) Report, including Monash-specific results and subsequent responses
Accreditation and external engagement
- Silver Employer Australian Workplace Equality Index for LGBTIQA+ workplace inclusion
- Employer of Choice for Gender Equality (Workplace Gender Equality Agency)
- Athena SWAN - we have a bronze award (2018-2023) through the Science in Australia Gender Equity initiative.
- Pride in diversity membership - we are a member of Pride in Diversity: Australia’s first and only national not-for-profit employer support program for all aspects of LGBTIQA+ workplace inclusion.
- Australian Network on Disability - we are investing in services that support staff with a disability to have a full and enriching experience at Monash.
- Gender Equality Action Plan 2022-2025 - to be published soon as part of the Victorian Gender Equality Act (2020).