Do you aspire to study at university but feel unsure about your options? Would you like to connect with a university student who can help you clarify your goals and work out the best way to achieve them?
The Access Monash Mentoring program is for Year 11 and 12 students at our partner schools who want to explore post-school options but whose families have limited experience with university study.
How does it work?
As a mentee, you will be matched with a current Monash student who will help you:
- Explore your interests, and your career and study options
- Set or refine your goals and ambitions for the future
- Understand what university life is like
- Make sense of all your options.
Your mentor will work with you to develop an Individual Mentoring Plan, based on your goals and what you hope to gain from the program.
The program runs from March to October each year. You will meet with your mentor fortnightly, usually at your school. You might also attend events or meet your mentor at a Monash University campus, a local library or an organisation related to your career interests.
We also offer e-mentoring to our schools in Gippsland.
What are the benefits?
- Individual mentoring from an experienced university student throughout Year 11 and 12
- A unique insight into university life
- The opportunity to set and clarify your goals for the future
- Support and study tips from someone who has recently completed VCE
- A $100 annual bursary to support you in your academic endeavours
- Invitations to special events and experiences
- Industry connection experiences
- Hands on Health activities
- Student shadowing experiences
- A graduation celebration at the end of Year 12
- Preferential and exclusive assess to other Monash outreach and leadership programs
- New friends and the opportunity to meet like-minded people.
Am I eligible?
To be eligible to participate in this program, you must:
- Be an Australian or New Zealand citizen, holder of an Australian permanent resident or permanent humanitarian visa, or a Bridging Visa A or E
- Be in Year 11 or 12 in 2018
- Attend an Access Monash Mentoring partner school
- Be considering studying at university
- Be the first in your family to attend university, OR attend an under-represented school, OR have a low income, OR be an Indigenous Australian, OR
live in a low socio-economic area
- Have your application endorsed by your school
- Have parent/guardian permission.