Advocacy and Support

You're not alone

Monash Residential Services (MRS) informs and guides students and staff of Monash College and Monash University of their housing options and tenancy rights and responsibilities at the Clayton, Caulfield, City, Parkville and Peninsula Campus.

If you choose to live in the private rental market on your own, or with a group of friends, we’re here to help you be Rent Smart and make an informed decision.

Our service can assist you with:

  • how to find accommodation that is right for you
  • advising you on what is fair rent
  • help you get your essentials like electricity, internet, gas and water connected
  • how to budget
  • checking your rental agreements, bond forms and condition reports to ensure they meet standards
  • advocacy and support at the VCAT (Victorian Civil & Administrative Tribunal)
  • issues with your landlord, real estate agent or housemates

Beware of scams!

We strongly recommend that you do not book long-term accommodation in the private rental market if you have not inspected it. There are ‘scams’ and false advertisers who may ask you to send money when in fact, the accommodation they are advertising does not exist! If you have suspicions or want to be sure, just contact us for assistance.

Our housing advisers are here to help you and offer their expert advice on all renting matters. Contact us before you commit in any way or pay any money.

Know your rights!

There are several important sites that specialise in assisting tenants/renters in Victoria. These include Consumer Affairs Victoria, and Tenants Victoria.


We are here to help you! If you have a dispute or any concerns with your landlord, agent or another tenant then contact us for a one on one consultation. Contact us here.