Private Rental

Understanding  the Private Rental Market

The Private Rental Market means that you are renting your own property either by yourself, with your family or with a group of friends.

Private Rental

Renting your own property either by yourself, or with a group of friends. There will be 1 lease agreement and 1 bond for the entire property.

Who should choose this option?

If you want to live with a group of friends, by yourself, or with your partner and/or family, then this option might be the best for you.

Where do I look for a private rental property?

Private rentals can be found advertised on many websites - here are just some of the most common: Real Estate, Domain, Property, Rent, Real Estate View

How do I find a property?

Most houses and apartments in Australia are rented through an agent. Check out our how to guides for searching for a property and what to expect once you find one.

If you prefer to search directly through local real estate agents, then check out our list of local agents.

*Please note that this list is not exhaustive and is intended to act as a starting point only. It does not include nor promote these local agents.

There are also landlords and housemates who rent a property or a room on the main real estate websites. Advertisements on all these options can be found on the following websites:

How much should I pay?

Rent costs vary across Melbourne so check out our Renting Costs guide for an idea of what you can expect to pay each week in the suburbs surrounding the Monash campuses.

Who is responsible for the rent and the bond?

Everyone will be responsible to pay their fair share of the rent and the bond. If the names of everyone who lives in the property are listed on the rental agreement, then they must ensure that their share of the rent is paid directly to the agent/landlord.

What happens if someone moves out?

This means that there is a vacant room and all residents may have to pay more rent. An option could be for the departing resident to sub-let the vacant room out. This is known as sub-letting.


Sub-tenancy or sub-letting is when one tenant (known as the ‘head-tenant’) transfers part (but not all) of a tenancy to another person. As long as there is permission from the agent/landlord, then the departing resident can create a new contract for the new tenant to take over.  A room may be sub-let, or an entire property may be sub-let for a set period that is less than the duration of the head-tenant’s own lease.

Know your rights!

View the Consumer Affairs Victoria website or contact us for assistance before signing the lease page to make sure you know your rights. Tenants Victoria also offer tenants guidance and help with understanding their rights.


We are here to help you! If you have  dispute with a landlord, agent or another tenant then contact us for a one on one consultation. Contact us here.