Join the charming Normanby House and become a member of our thriving community. A space where you will make lifelong friends and feel the warmth of a home away from home.
Normanby House is one of our smaller residences - opening its doors as one of the on campus halls of residence in 2005, it houses 101 students in single rooms which overlook a green courtyard.
Additional to the residential rooms, Normanby House has motel-style ensuite rooms on the ground floor. These are for short-term use by university staff, guests, parents of residents, post-graduate students and visitors on university business.
*click on each tab above for more information
You'll have your own carpeted room with:
- A king single bed
- Desk and chair
- VOIP telephone and 1GB/sec internet access
- Wardrobe and drawers
- Online TV streaming (with access to 30 channels)
- Desk fan
- Smoke alarm, automatic sprinkler, and locks on every door and window
- Hand basin
- Clothes airer (drying rack)
As well as your room, you will have access to the shared facilities of Normanby House including:
- Common room
- Study rooms/library
- Games room
- Music rehearsal room
- Outdoor BBQ area
- Veggie Gardens
As part of the campus, MRS is supported by the University's security services, with security assistance on hand 24/7 - but we also have dedicated ‘MRS’ services personnel on site each night at Clayton to assist all residents and to ensure safety and security. Here are some of the other ways we keep everyone safe:
- MRS is part of the University Respect Now Always initiative and mobile app.
- Only residents have access to their hall (via proxy card or security key access)
- All rooms have their own lock for added privacy
- All halls and rooms have smoke alarms and fire-safety equipment which are checked regularly
- On-Campus Security personnel can escort you to your residence if you’re returning late at night - and security staff are based in or close to the residences
- We run fire safety inductions and regular drills
- Our Residential Support Teams are made up of senior Monash University staff and student leaders who live in each hall to support each resident. They are trained to understand the special needs of younger students living away from home for the first time.
- Residential Support Team members have first-aid training, mental health first-aid training and all are required to have a Working With Children Check.
A safe environment requires cooperation from everyone in the residential community, which is why our Conditions of Residency includes a number of security initiatives and responsibilities.
Mascot and flag
The mascot for Normanby House is the noble rhinoceros. Our colours are black, purple, white and silver – we rhinoceros take our sporting and social events seriously and these colours can often be seen through the rising dust as we charge our competitors and claim victory.
Residential Support Team
Our live-in Residential Support Team (RST) offers guidance and support; they’re dedicated to making sure you're comfortable with all aspects of campus life and you're included in the fun.
The RST provides academic-support programs, sporting, social and cultural events and they have arranged an events calendar packed with fun so you get all the fantastic social aspects of residential living, as well as your privacy.
Pricing and application
If you'd like to live at Normanby House and be part of our community, please apply here.