South East Flats
Does the idea of living in a self-contained apartment, rather than a large hall, appeal to you? The South East Flats give you just that opportunity.
The flats are designed for students looking for more privacy and greater independence and self-reliance.
Built in 1975, there are 30 furnished apartments, each with between two and five bedrooms (most have four), and a shared bathroom and kitchen – so you can live a more independent, self-reliant lifestyle. All the apartments are fully furnished and you can have the opportunity to live with friends, each with your own bedroom/study space.
|1 -2 bathrooms per flat||1 kitchen per flat||Graduate rooms|
The apartments are located in the south-east corner of the campus and have a pavilion which overlooks a scenic lake within the grounds. It's an ideal space to socialise and study. It has a kitchen and lounge room, with pool tables, table tennis tables and a projector screen.
*click on each tab above for more information
You'll have your own carpeted room with:
- A single bed
- Desk and chair
- VOIP telephone and 1GB/sec internet access
- Wardrobe and drawers
- TV streaming (with access to 80 channels)
- Smoke alarm, automatic sprinkler, and locks on every door and window
- Clothes airer (drying rack)
As well as your room, and the living room within your flat you will have access to the shared facilities of the South East Flats including:
- Common room
- Common kitchen and lounge
- Music rehearsal room
- Outdoor BBQ area
- Veggie Gardens
As part of the campus, MRS is supported by the University's security services, with security assistance on hand 24/7 - but we also have dedicated ‘MRS’ services personnel on site each night at Clayton to assist all residents and to ensure safety and security. Here are some of the other ways we keep everyone safe:
- MRS is part of the University Respect Now Always initiative and mobile app.
- Only residents have access to their hall (via proxy card or security key access)
- All rooms have their own lock for added privacy
- All halls and rooms have smoke alarms and fire-safety equipment which are checked regularly
- On-Campus Security personnel can escort you to your residence if you’re returning late at night - and security staff are based in or close to the residences
- We run fire safety inductions and regular drills
- Our Residential Support Teams are made up of senior Monash University staff and student leaders who live in each hall to support each resident. They are trained to understand the special needs of younger students living away from home for the first time.
- Residential Support Team members have first-aid training, mental health first-aid training and all are required to have a Working With Children Check.
A safe environment requires cooperation from everyone in the residential community, which is why our Conditions of Residency includes a number of security initiatives and responsibilities.
Mascot and Flag
The South East Flats’ mascot is the eagle and our colours are orange and blue. The eagles are often seen proudly wearing these colours on special occasions and to support fellow eagles at sporting events where we can often be seen soaring through the heights of victory.
Residential Support Team
Our live-in Residential Support Teams (RST) offers guidance and support. They’re also dedicated to making sure you're comfortable with all aspects of campus life and you're included in the fun.
The RST provides academic-support programs, sporting, social and cultural events and they have arranged an events calendar packed with fun so you get all the fantastic social aspects of residential living, as well as your privacy.
Pricing and application
See more information on pricing.
If you’d like to live at South East Flats and be part of our community, please apply here.