Briggs Hall and Jackomos Hall departure cleaning responsibilities
In preparation of your departure from an MRS studio apartment, please find below some useful information regarding your responsibilities in relation to ending your tenancy and the condition you should leave your studio apartment in prior to your departure to avoid unnecessary charges .
Details of the Residential Tenancies Act 1997 can be found at the web link below:
Please be aware:
1. Your studio apartment must be left in a clean state. The room including the bathroom and cooking area must be thoroughly cleaned prior to handing in your room keys. If additional cleaning is required there are costs which we will recover from you, by using the University approved cleaning contractor. See appendix 1 of this letter for more advice and for further information please refer to Residential Tenancies Act section 63.
2. Your studio apartment must be left in a well maintained state, in the same manner that you indicated on your arrival room condition report. The costs of repairing items in your room can be outlined by an Operations Officer. These are direct costs, no additional fees or charges have been added. For further information please refer to Residential Tenancies Act section 61.
3. On your departure please ensure that you have not left behind any personal items, as all items, including rubbish must be removed or disposed of prior to handing in your keys. Note that if you leave belongings behind there may be costs associated with the removal and storage of personal items. If these items are rubbish, then the cleaning rate above will apply. For further information please refer to the Residential Tenancies Act sections 384, 385, 386.
4. Any fixtures that you have attached to the walls or any other surface must be removed and made good. There will be costs associated with repairs if we are required to perform additional repair works to your apartment. For further information please refer to Residential Tenancies Act section 64.
You have the option of being present at the time of departure to conduct a joint inspection. An inspection will only be done during business hours and you will need to hand in your keys immediately after the inspection. Please contact the MRS office or email address below to make an appointment.
For those of you who choose not to arrange a room inspection prior to departure, Monash Residential Services staff will inspect your studio apartment and complete an "exit condition report". This report will be compared with your signed "arrival condition report" for any discrepancy in terms of damage or cleanliness.
As part of MRS' room condition reporting process any maintenance or cleaning that MRS is required to undertake will incur costs. If there are costs for cleaning or repairs you will receive via email;
- A photo of the affected part of the studio apartment.
- A copy of your arrival room condition report.
- A copy of your exit room condition report.
- An invoice for the costs to repair or clean the studio apartment.
It is our experience that the majority of residents do leave their room in good condition and if this advice is followed you should avoid any end of tenancy costs.
If you have any questions, please email us at email@example.com.
To assist you with cleaning and to avoid cleaning costs, we suggest that particular attention is paid to the following:
- Thoroughly clean bathroom
- Basin, toilet (internal & external), mirror/vanity cupboard, shower, shelves
- Thoroughly clean kitchen
- Clean cook tops, range hood, sink, glass splashbacks, fridge (internal & external), microwave (internal & external)
- Clean out and wipe all cupboards and drawers (internal & external)
- Remove cobwebs
- Remove any scuff marks and hand/finger prints from walls, woodwork & light switches
- Wash windows and damp wipe blinds
- Dust skirting boards, window frames and shelves
- Vacuum carpets, spot clean any marks & mop floors