On-campus accessible accommodation
Monash Residential Services welcomes residents with special needs. Some accommodation options have been specifically built or modified to incorporate accessibility features.
On Clayton campus, where the majority of our resident buildings are, you'll find the following:
- Deakin Hall, a traditional Hall of Residence, has several accessible rooms, some with private ensuite bathrooms.
- South East Flats, that offers shared apartments for more independent living, has some rooms with accessibility features.
- The Urban Community (Turner Hall, Holman Hall, Campbell Hall, Logan Hall, Jakomos Hall and Briggs Hall) has over 50 apartments designed with accessibility in mind. These features include ramps, bathroom rails, low kitchen benches, washers and dryers within the apartments, as well as wide showers. These units are around 50 per cent larger than the standard apartments, at 30 square meters. These buildings also have larger and wider doorways, communal areas, floor lounges and lifts.
On Berwick campus:
- Berwick Hall of Residence has several accessible rooms, with wide doorways, bathroom rails and modified shower areas. All communal areas are accessible via ramps and paths. With the campus buildings so close, travel to classrooms is easily achieved.
On Peninsula campus:
- Student Village, the largest of Peninsula's residences, has a shared house incorporating many accessibility features. These include wide passages and doorways, and an accessible bathroom. A dual bench kitchen at different heights ensures that all cooking needs are met. Residents in wheelchairs can move easily within their own residences, and amongst the other Student Village houses via the wide paths and doorways of all houses. Beyond these houses, travel to classes is easily achieved through the accessible paths from residence to classroom.
- Samada Street residences, that has groups of one and two bed units, has one residence with accessibility features including an accessible bathroom, low kitchen benches, rails and wide doorways. Mobility around the site is easy and a short journey to classrooms and campus facilities is achievable along the pathways and roads.
For information about other services and resources available please contact the Disability Liaison Unit.
Applicants who require additional features to meet their needs must indicate this at the time of applying for accommodation. Some supporting documentation maybe requested to accommodate your request.