Growing up in Mt Eliza, Mr Richard Henderson attended The Peninsula School before enrolling in Graphic Design at the former Caulfield Institute of Technology. Completing his Diploma in 1973, Mr Henderson commenced working for Lyndon Whaite, one of Australia’s well-known designers of the time.
In 1976, Mr Henderson and two partners founded Flett Henderson & Arnold which later become FHA Image Design. In 2001, FHA Image Design was acquired by the global brand agency FutureBrand and Mr Henderson became Creative Director Australia. In 2003 he left to form his own company R-Co (Richard Henderson and company).
Mr Henderson has been directly responsible for the branding of companies such as Telstra, Crown, Orica, BHP Billiton, AFL, AustralianSuper, MCG, ANZ, Tennis Australia, Cricket Australia, Golf Australia, Royal Children’s Hospital Melbourne, Chadstone, Yarra Trams, Queen Victoria Market, Brand Tasmania and many more.
He was also the creative leader of identity programs for the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games, the Melbourne 2006 Commonwealth Games and the Invictus Games 2018 Sydney.
Over the years, Mr Henderson and his companies have had a major impact on the visual landscape of this country and even more significantly the representation of Australia’s national identity, both domestically and internationally.
Mr Henderson is continually exploring the potential of creativity and its value to the business world. He believes that every design tells a story and that every business has a story to tell.
Mr Henderson, as an alumnus of Monash University, has been a passionate supporter of graphic design education over many years. Credentials include:
- A founder and lifetime member of the Australian Graphic Design Association (AGDA)
- Identity Design Director of the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games
- Identity Design Director of the Sydney 2000 Paralympic Games
- Identity Design Director of the Melbourne 2006 Commonwealth Games
- Visual consultant to the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games
- Identity Design Director of the INVICTUS Games 2018 Sydney
- Monash University Distinguished Alumni recipient
- Hall of Fame inductee 2009, Design Institute of Australia
- Icograda Achievement Award 2010
- Visiting design professor at Southern Yangste University, University Wuxi and Academy of Design Guangzhou, China
- Established office in Shanghai with Chinese design partner Yongfang Yu in 2015. Founded an office in Hong Kong in 2017 and invited to partner with Chinese designer Yan Jun in a studio in Shijiazhuang in 2020.