Global Discovery Program Internships: New York City 2018
In January, ten Monash University students participated in the Global Discovery Program New York City Internships 2018 . It was made possible thanks to a few of our New York City based alumni: Karl Redenbach (pictured) CEO and Co-founder at LiveTiles, Dimitra Manis, Chief Human Resource Officer at Revlon and Chris Fladgate Founding Partner at GS2 Law.
Hosted by alumni, each year our GDP interns spend four weeks living and working in New York City. For students, it's the chance to kick-start their careers and be involved in real projects. For hosts, they get fresh new perspectives from Monash’s best and brightest young minds.
This year, from 113 applicants and after a competitive selection process, the following ten students were chosen:
- Shayden Gallichio, Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Engineering – LiveTiles intern
- Zoe Tong, Bachelor of Electrical Engineering and Commerce, LiveTiles intern
- Derek Huang, Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Engineering (Honours), LiveTiles intern
- Sarah Chancellor-Goddard, Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Engineering (Honours), LiveTiles intern
- Ben Harris, Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Law, GS2 Law Firm intern
- Sajana Seneviratne, Bachelor of Business and Bachelor of Marketing, Revlon intern
- Eliza McGrath,Bachelor of Business (Management) and Bachelor of Business (Marketing), Revlon intern
- Hassan Sukkar, Bachelor of Business, Revlon intern
- Shara (Ji Soo) Lim, Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Laws, Revlon intern
- Varalika Vashishtha, Bachelor of Laws (Honours) and Bachelor of Commerce, Revlon intern
"GDP was a life changing experience which opened my eyes to my future and the amazing opportunities available to me not only locally, but on a global scale. I met with highly successful Monash alumni and through the internship at LiveTiles, I was able to challenge myself in an innovative and supportive organization. I’m so grateful to Monash and LiveTiles for providing the chance to complete this internship and I would highly recommend it to anyone considering applying."
Zoe Tong, Global Discovery Program Internships Scholar 2018, Bachelor of Electrical Engineering and Commerce
Each intern was also assigned a mentor from the Monash alumni community to provide them with advice about how to make the most of their time in New York City. They also provided insight into their transition from studying at Monash University, to living and working abroad.
Employers are increasingly looking for graduates with industry experience. Through our Work Integrated Learning program (WIL), students have the opportunity to gain invaluable practical experience working with one of our partner organisations, as well as academic credit towards their degree.
- "It was a real pleasure having such a talented group of Monash students intern with Revlon. The energy and innovative thinking they brought to our Digital team helped drive key initiatives forward. Their support of our brand ambassador program was invaluable to our Social Engagement team, especially during our Revlon Live Boldly campaign launch. We are grateful for their professional outlook, open mindset and fabulous contribution to our business".
Dimitra Manis, Chief Human Resources Officer – Revlon
In June 2018, the Global Discovery Program Study Tour will be running in New York City and we'll pilot our internships in the United Kingdom for the first time. If you'd like to host interns in your workplace in Melbourne or elsewhere, please contact the Work Integrated Learning team or the Monash alumni team.
Special thanks to this years' mentors: Aparna Balaraman, Director at Blackrock, Stephen Margetts, Chief Project Officer and Legal Officer, United Nations, John-Paul Sukkar, Director and HR Business Partner, Rent the Runaway, Anuraag Verma, Head of Business Development, Alpha, Aimee Hocking, Senior Brand Manager, Mondelez International, Liam Barnes, Vice President and Head of Product Marketing, RealConnex, Toby Carrington, Senior Vice President, Siemens Healthineers, Ben Hyland, Account Director, Anomaly, Monica Latin, Head of Talent and Culture, ANZ Americas, Sophia Brown, Senior Director , Vendor Marketing, Saks Fifth Avenue.