The international placement program will be scaled back for 2021 Arts placements. According to current DFAT advice, students are not permitted to travel to undertake any programs overseas at this time. Therefore, only students residing in their country of citizenship or permanent residency may undertake a placement offshore until further notice. The placements must be Student Sourced.
Monash sourced international placements will not be offered until further notice. Updates will be shared on this page.
Student sourced - for students staying in their home country in 2021
There are several international placement units you can apply for - Undergraduate – ATS3935 & ATS3130 and Graduate – APG5044. For eligibility requirements, see here. As part of your Student Sourced application, you may be asked to provide evidence of your residency and required insurances in the country of placement.
Your internship start date must align with the start date of the teaching period you are applying to. Students can only be placed in standard teaching periods for offshore placements: Semester 1, Winter, Semester 2 and Summer A or Summer B. Any applications submitted with dates outside of standard teaching periods will be made unsuccessful.
How do I apply for an international student sourced placement?
Step 1. After you have confirmed a placement with a host organisation, complete the “expression of interest” form which outlines your location and the host details. Allow time for the WIL team to seek approvals for you to submit an application.
You must submit your expression of interest by:
Winter - 12 April
Semester 2 - 10 May
***Expressions of interest will not be accepted beyond these dates***
Step 2. If you are approved to apply for an international WIL placement, you will be sent a student placement pack for you and your host to complete. You will also be sent instructions on how to upload your final application to Inplace (student placement management system).
This pack includes:
- OHS form, which outlines if the host has public liability insurance and the COVID measures they have in place
- An outline of the duties you will be undertaking and your supervisor’s qualifications
- Placement outline, which asks the host to demonstrate how they will support you remotely
- Host agreement
PLEASE NOTE: Your enrolment into the WIL unit is not guaranteed. The WIL team is obligated to ensure the placement you have sourced meets all compliance guidelines as set out by the faculty and the University. Any delays in receiving all documentation will result in delays and/or our inability to approve your placement and confirm your enrolment.
You must ensure you are enrolled in the correct number of units.
You must NOT commence your placement until you have received official confirmation of your enrolment. It is not possible to apply for credit for an internship or work placement after it has been completed, or after the point where your remaining hours would no longer meet the minimum requirements.
Step 3. You may be required to register with Monash Abroad, and provide your passport and insurance details.If your application is approved, the WIL team will facilitate your enrolment into the WIL unit.
Internship/job search engines
Students staying in their home country
We encourage you to search for current opportunities that support a remote working arrangement.
- Career Gateway – access to international job opportunities for Monash students, as well as a range of workshops designed to enhance employability and refine job seeking skills (such as crafting professional resumes and building resilience)
- Monash Global Careers – find global job opportunities, including in your home country
Internship/job directories by regions
Some countries advertise graduate positions through a central directory. The graduate recruitment period can start at different times of the year, so you should be aware of seasonal differences when applying for work in different countries.
- Aozhouhaigui – a jobs portal exclusively for students and graduates from Australian Group of Eight (Go8) universities interested in working in China. Sign up with your Monash student email
- Lockin U - a jobs portal with thousands of opportunities in China for Chinese students and graduates returning home