Study and Writing Resources
APW has a range of online and print resources that can assist you with various aspects of your study.
ASCENT – Academic English Online
(Academic English grammar development course for all Monash students)
For online tutorials on essay writing; reading and notetaking; grammar; oral presentations; study skills – explore the following links:
- Language and Learning Online
- What makes a good essay? (Sample essay PDF 271KB)
- What makes a good critical review? (Sample review PDF 275KB)
- Language and Learning Online – Writing in Subject Areas – Arts Find out from lecturers what is required in assignments Learn to write better assignments through interactive tasks. View samples of student work with lecturer and student comments
More subject-specific resources
The following resources for essay writing in MUSIC were developed in conjunction with staff from the Music conservatorium in 2010:
- music essay writing guide – word doc
- writing about music – word doc
- music referencing guide – word doc
- music sample essay – word doc
- music lecturer’s comments on the essay – word doc
Video and PDF Resources (grammar focus)
The following is a list of writing and study handbooks that you may find useful. Copies are available in the Monash Library or from staff in APW.
For Undergraduate Students
- Taylor, G. (1989). The student’s writing guide for the arts and social sciences. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Ballard, B. & J. Clanchy (1991). Essay writing for students: a practical guide. Melbourne: Longman Chesire.
- Moore, T. Essay writing tutorial (Obtain a copy at APW, Room 129)
For Graduate Students
- Phillips, E. & D. Pugh (1994). How to get a PhD: a handbook for students and their supervisors. Buckingham: Open University Press
- Anderson, J. & M. Poole (1994) Thesis and assignment writing. 2nd Ed. Brisbane: Wiley.
For International Students
- Ballard, B. & J. Clanchy (1985). Study abroad: a manual for Asian students . Malaysia: Longman.
- Swales, J. & C. Feak (1994). Academic writing for graduate students: a course for non-native speakers of English. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press.