How can I study a language at Monash?

There are several ways in which you can study language units (subjects) at Monash:

  • As a unit within a Monash Arts Bachelor degree, or as an elective unit within many other Monash undergraduate degrees (e.g. Economics, Engineering, Information Technology, Science)
  • By enrolling in a Diploma of Languages, which must be taken concurrently with another Monash Bachelor degree
  • As a cross-institutional unit if you are enrolled at another university and have their permission to take a language unit at Monash towards that degree.
  • As a single unit (subject), available on a full-fee paying basis.

Whichever option suits your circumstances, you will be able to choose from our extensive range of language units from beginners to advanced level – we can give you a placement test to see where you fit in.  As well as language units, some disciplines also offer units related to society and culture (literature, film, theatre etc) taught in English or in the target language.