Japanese entry level test

Students who have never studied Japanese

If you have no experience with the Japanese language, you should enrol in ATS1141 - Japanese introductory 1 (Semester 1).

Students who have completed Year 12 Japanese

If you have completed VCE Japanese Units 3 and 4 or an equivalent in another state of Australia, you should enrol in ATS2143 - Japanese intermediate 1 (Semester 1).

Please note:

  • You can NOT enrol yourself in ATS2143 through WES: you will need to request a 'manual enrolment'. See the instructions below.
  • If you achieved a raw Study Score of 40 or above in VCE Japanese Units 3 and 4, you may consider enrolling in ATS2145 Japanese proficient 1 instead of ATS2143. If you are interested in this option, consider taking the entry level test (see below) to ascertain if you are sufficiently prepared.

Other students: take the Entry Level Test

If you have not completed Year 12 Japanese but do have some knowledge of the language, or if you are enrolling in semester 2 when ATS1141/ATS2143 are not offered, you must complete an online Entry Level Test to determine the appropriate language entry level.

Complete entry level test now

You must provide a valid email address to receive the automated email advising you what unit to enrol in. Once you have received this message, you will need to request 'manual enrolment': see the instructions below. If you are still unsure which unit to enrol in even after taking the entry level test, please contact the coordinator of Japanese Studies (see 'Contacts' in the Handbook) for further advice.

Please note that it is in the student’s interest to follow the test guidelines. A distorted score as a result of external assistance will result in incorrect entry level.

Students must not purposefully misrepresent their competency in the language in order to enrol in a level lower than her/his actual competency. This would breach Academic integrity policy, which may result in the student being disenrolled from the unit.

Manual enrolment in Japanese language units

All Japanese language units other than ATS1141/ATS1142 (Japanese Introductory 1 and 2) require ‘manual enrolment’. This means that you cannot enrol by yourself through WES, and will need to submit an electronic amendment.

To request manual enrolment, submit an Enrolment Amendment Form. You will need to attach the following documentation to the form:

  • If you have completed Year 12 Japanese and wish to enrol in ATS2143 Japanese intermediate 1: Proof of completion of VCE Japanese Units 3 and 4  (or equivalent in another state of Australia)
  • If you have taken the Entry Level Test and received an e-mail message advising you which unit to enrol in: A copy of the message
  • If you have received special approval to enrol from a unit coordinator: a copy of the approval message

If you have any questions on your enrolment you can submit an online enquiry Monash Connect, attaching a scan/screenshot of any required documentation and they will answer your questions and help you to enrol.

Coverage of Japanese language units at Monash

For more information on the content of each Japanese language unit offered, please see: