The amazing opportunity is waiting for you to show off your ability to express your thoughts and ideas in the Korean language with a chance of winning the prizes!
Monash University Korean Studies presents
The Fourth Annual Korean Speech Contest 2021
(한국어 말하기 대회)
DEADLINE FOR RECEIPT OF ALL ENTRIES: 20 September 2021, 11:55pm Australian Eastern Time Zone (Melbourne)
1st prize: AUD$2500.00
3 x Runners up prizes of AUD$500.00 each
This year the speech contest will be carried out entirely via video entries. You should send in a video of yourself giving a 4-5 minute talk in Korean on one of the following topics:
· Learning to Love Korea from a Distance: Studying Korean language and culture at a time of closed borders
· Learning Korean language and culture online
· My life and Korean after the pandemic
Submit your video as follows:
- All applicants should upload their videos to the following dropbox location: https://www.dropbox.com/request/Sah4pmOi5RtpKqEhfK57
- If you are a Monash student,you also need to upload your video to the following Moodle location: https://lms.monash.edu/mod/forum/view.php?id=9225424&forceview=1
Videos longer than 5 minutes will not be considered. No special presentation requirements (for example: PowerPoints etc) are necessary. Videos do not need to be professionally edited. Videos only need to show the entrant speaking. Please be aware that your video will be viewable for students currently enrolled in Korean Studies units at Monash.
Submit your application form:
Send a completed application form to Heekyung Ahn:
※ In your application form you will be asked to include:
1) Your full name
2) A list of all Korean study you have undertaken with dates. You should include courses at educational institutions and structured self-study, private one-to-one tuition and language exchanges.
3) Your contact details (address, phone number and email address)
4) A scanned copy of student ID from an educational institution in Metropolitan Melbourne
4) A signed consent form for still and moving images
5) A signed consent form for entrants under 18 years old (see below)
For any further questions, please contact Heekyung Ahn(firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Open to all second language learners of Korean who are 16 years of age or over, and currently registered part-time or full-time in education at institutions in metropolitan Melbourne and in possession of a valid ID as proof of their current enrolment.
- All entrants who are under the age of 18 must provide the written and signed consent of a parent or guardian to ensure that they have permission to compete in this competition. The consent form should be scanned and sent by email to Heekyung Ahn(email@example.com) along with your application information before the deadline for entries of 20 September 2021, 11:55pm
- The entrant who appears in the video must be the same person who has filled in the application form and who has included a scanned copy of their ID.
- The talk should be a monologue in Korean by one person on one of the topics listed above.
Selection of Winners:
All entries will be split into three groups. One runners up prize will be awarded to the best video in each group, and the most outstanding entrant in relation to their Korean level overall will be awarded the first prize.
Group 1 - less than one year since you began learning Korean in an educational setting or through structured self-study
Group 2 – less than two years since you began learning Korean in an educational setting or through structured self-study
Group 3 – more than two years since you began learning Korean in an educational setting or through structured self-study
The winners of the competition will be announced on October 9, 2021, Hangul Day.
The judges' decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into. Chance plays no part in determining the winners. All entries will be judged individually on their merits based on Korean language ability (in relation to experience learning Korean) and originality of content and creativity.
One winner will be selected from each category. From these three category winners, the most outstanding entrant will win the first prize, and three other entrants will be awarded runners up prizes.
Announcement of winners:
Each winner will be notified by the email address provided at the time of entry within 5 days of the announcement on October 9, 2021, Hangul Day.
The name, photograph and videos of the winners may be published on the Monash University Korean Studies website and in other University publications according to the conditions of the competition terms 12b.
1. The promoter of the competition is Monash University (ABN 12 377 614 012) (Monash).
2. Information on how to enter this competition and prize details published by Monash form part of these terms and conditions of entry (Terms).
3. All entrants agree to the Terms upon submitting their entry.
4. Monash reserves the right at any time, to verify the validity of entries and entrants (including an entrant's identity, age, and place of residence) and to disqualify any entrant who tampers with the entry process.
5. Entries must be received during the before the Deadline. Entries will be deemed to be accepted at the time of receipt and not at the time of transmission. Incomplete, inaudible or incomprehensible entries will be deemed invalid. No responsibility will be taken by Monash for lost, late or misdirected entries.
6. This competition is a ‘game of skill’ and chance plays no part in determining the winners. All entries will be judged individually on their merits based on the rules and conditions of the competition.
7. Monash reserves the right to: a) cancel, terminate, delay, modify or suspend the competition at any time; b) withdraw the invitation to participate from any person, including where that person incorrectly receives an invitational email; and c) amend or vary these Terms during the competition.
8. The winner(s) will be chosen as outlined in the above details.
9. Prizes must be taken as offered and are not redeemable for cash or an alternative prize. Prizes are not transferable.
10. Monash reserves the right to disqualify any entry or entrants at its discretion at any time. Monash’s decision on all aspects relating to this competition is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
11. Monash may request further information from the prize winner to confirm the prize winner’s entry is eligible and complies with these Terms. This may include, for example, requesting proof of identity.
12. By entering, entrants:
(a) confirm that any content they submit is original and does not infringe the intellectual property rights or any other rights of third parties;
(b) grant Monash a perpetual, royalty-free, irrevocable, worldwide, non-exclusive licence (with the right to sub-licence) to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, communicate with the public and otherwise exploit the submission content in any media for any purpose (including to advertise or promote any of Monash’s products or services);
(c) consent to any act or omission by Monash that would otherwise infringe any moral rights that may subsist in the entry; and
(d) agree to the use of the entry (in whole, edited or altered form) and the entrant’s name for the purpose of promoting any aspect of this competition, Monash and any of Monash’s products or services in any media worldwide; and
(e) agree to sign any further documentation required by Monash to give effect to this clause.
13. The image or video and text submitted must not contain or include:
(a) any material which might infringe the intellectual property rights or any other rights of third parties;
(b) any explicit material such as harsh/coarse/abusive language, alcohol, drugs, sex, nudity or violence;
(c) the name, image, likeness or voice of any other person (apart from the entrant).
14. It is the entrant’s responsibility to ensure they are readily contactable through the information provided at the time of entry.
15. If a winner does not respond to claim the prize within 5 days of Monash attempting to contact the winner, the winner forfeits the prize. If this occurs, Monash may conduct a re-draw and offer the prize to other entrants until a valid winner has been contacted. The newly drawn winner will be contacted using the contact details provided at the time of entry.
16. Unless otherwise agreed, Monash will send the prize by post to an Australian address nominated by the winner. Monash accepts no responsibility for prizes lost or damaged in transit.
17. Unless expressly stated, all other expenses become the responsibility of the winners. Winners are advised that tax implications may arise from their prize winning and may wish to seek independent financial advice prior to the acceptance of the prize.
18. Monash accepts no responsibility and shall not be held legally liable or responsible for any accident, loss, injury or damage to any individual or property whether direct or indirect, whether in contract, tort, negligence or otherwise arising out of or in connection with the competition or the prize, either during or after the competition.
19. Without limiting clause 18, Monash makes no representations or warranties as to the quality, suitability or merchantability of any goods or services offered as prizes. To the extent permitted by law, Monash is not liable for any loss suffered to person or property by reason of any act or omission, deliberate or negligent, by Monash or its employees or agents, in connection with the arrangement for the supply of goods and services by any person to the prize winner, and where applicable, to any persons accompanying the prize winner. This clause does not affect any rights a consumer may have which are unable to be excluded under Australian law. To the fullest extent permitted by law, any liability of Monash or its employees or agents for breach of any such rights is limited to the payment of the costs of having the prize supplied again.
21. This contest is organized by Monash University Korean Studies and supported by the Core University Program for Korean Studies through the Ministry of Education of the Republic of Korea and Korean Studies Promotion Service of the Academy of Korean Studies (AKS-2017-OLU-2250002).