See the latest publications from MMIC academics and the Next Generation Network.
- Forbes-Mewett, H. (Ed.) 2020.Vulnerability in a Mobile World. Emerald Publishing Ltd: Bingley, UK.
- Kandasamy, N, Perera, N & Ratnam, C 2020, A sense of Viidu: The (Re)creation of Home by the Sri Lankan Tamil Diaspora in Australia, Palgrave Pivot, UK.
- Gamlen, A 2019, Human Geopolitics: Emigrants, States and the Rise of Diaspora Institutions, Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- Fili, A, Jahnsen, S & Powell, R (eds.) 2018, Criminal Justice Research in an Era of Mass Mobility., Routledge, London.
- Forbes-Mewett, H 2018, The New Security: Individual, Community and Cultural Experiences, Palgrave Macmillan, London
- Ricatti, F 2018, Italians in Australia: history, memory, identity, Palgrave Macmillan, Cham.
- Segrave, M, Milivojevic, S, & Pickering, S 2018, Sex Trafficking and Modern Slavery: The absence of evidence, Routledge, Oxford.
- Köber, G., Oberwittler, D., and Wickes, R., (2020). "Old age and fear of crime: cross-national evidence for a decreased impact of neighbourhood disadvantage in older age". Ageing and Society, pp.1–30.
- Benier, K., Wickes, R. and Moran, C. (2020) ‘‘African gangs’ in Australia: Perceptions of race and crime in urban neighbourhoods’, Australian & New Zealand Journal of Criminology. doi: 10.1177/0004865820965647.
- Ratnam, C. & Drozdzewski, D. (2020) 'Detour: Bodies, memories, and mobilities in and around the home', Mobilities, DOI: 10.1080/17450101.2020.1780071
- Wang, W., Han, G-S., Forbes-Mewett, H. (2020) 'Community stakeholder and opinion formation towards end-of-life planning in the Chinese community in Australia'. Death Studies. DOI: 10.1080/07481187.2020.1815101
- Gamlen, A. (2020), 'Ethiopian migrant domestic workers: migrant agency and social change', Ethnic and Racial Studies, 43(8): 1507-1508
- Gamlen, A., (2020), 'International migration and the 2020 pandemic: The end of an age? In Time for a re-set: implications for migration policies arising from COVID-19. Geneva: International Organization for Migration.
- Simpson, D., Segrave, M., Kach, A.P., Handfield, R., Quarshie, A., Moore, H., & Panas, G. (2020), ‘Modern Slavery and Global Supply Chains: Agency and Psychological Distance'. Proceedings, Vol. 1, 2020.
- Overton, J., Stupples, P., Murray, W.E., Gamlen, A. & Palomino‐Schalscha, M. (2020), ‘Learning journeys: Five paradigms of education for development’. Asia Pacific Viewpoint, (online first).
- Forbes-Mewett, H, Han, G.S & Wang, W.Y 2020, 'Together Here, Now and Forever: Chinese Immigrants’ Belonging in Australia, Family, Ethnicity and Memorialisation', Journal of Intercultural Studies, (online first).
- Forbes-Mewett, H, Schermuly, A & Hegarty, K 2020, ‘Aspirational Individuals, Hopeful Communities: Histories and Subjectivities of Precarity in Regional Australia’, Critical Sociology, https://doi.org/10.1177/0896920520903470.
- Milivojevic, S, Moore, H & Segrave, M 2020, ‘Freeing the Modern Slaves, One Click at a Time: Theorising human trafficking, modern slavery, and technology’, Anti-Trafficking Review, vol.14, pp. 16-32.
- Trung-Nguyan, K, Forbes-Mewett, H & Arunachalam, D 2020, 'Social Support from Bonding and Bridging Relationships in Disaster Recovery: Findings from a Slow-onset Disaster', International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction, vol. 46.
- Weber, L 2020, '‘My Kids Won’t Grow up Here’: Policing, Bordering and Belonging', Theoretical Criminology, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 71-89.
- Aliverti, A, Milivojevic, S, & Weber, L 2019, Tracing Imprints of the Border in the Territorial, Justice and Welfare Domains: A Multi‐Site Ethnography. The Howard Journal of Crime and Justice, vol. 58, no.2, pp. 240-259. doi:10.1111/hojo.12317.
- Forbes-Mewett, H & Pape, M. L 2019, 'Social Capital and the U.S. College Experiences of International Student-Athletes and Non-Athletes', Journal of International Students, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 777-794.
- McIntyre, C & Gamlen, A 2019, 'States of belonging: How conceptions of national membership guide state diaspora engagement', Geoforum, doi:10.1016/j.geoforum.2019.03.004.
- Ratnam, C 2019, 'Fitting refugees into the normative narrative of Australian multiculturalism', Urban Geography, vol. 40, no. 8, pp. 1198-1209.
- Ricatti, F, Dutto, M & Wilson, R 2019, 'Ethnic enclave or transcultural edge? Reassessing the Prato district through digital mapping', Modern Italy, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 369-381. doi:10.1017/mit.2019.48.
- Schermuly, A. C & Forbes-Mewett, H 2019, 'Police legitimacy: perspectives of migrants and non-migrants in Australia', Journal of Criminological Research, Policy and Practice, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 50-63.
- Segrave, M 2019, 'Theorizing sites and strategies of differential inclusion: unlawful migrant workers in Australia', Theoretical Criminology, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 194-210.
- Wickes, R, Zahnow, R, Corcoran, J & Hipp, J. R 2019, 'Neighbourhood social conduits and resident social cohesion', Urban Studies, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 226-248.
- Han, G-S., Forbes-Mewett, H. and Wang, W 2018, 'My own business, not my children's: Negotiating funeral rites and the mobility and communication juncture among Chinese migrants in Melbourne', Mobilities, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 761-775.
- Hipp, J.R & Wickes, R 2018, 'Problems, perceptions and actions: An interdependent process for generating informal social control', Social Science Research, vol. 73, pp.107-125.
- Hirsch, A. L & Doig, C 2018, 'Outsourcing Control: The International Organization for Migration in Indonesia', International Journal of Human Rights, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 681-708.
- Markus, A. B & Arunachalam, D 2018, 'Australian public opinion on asylum', Migration and development, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 435-447.
- Palmer, W & Missbach, A 2018, 'Judicial Discretion and the Minimum Statutory Sentence for Migrant Smuggling through Indonesia', Asian Journal of Law and Society, vol.5, no. 2, pp. 413-431, doi:10.1017/als.2018.7.
- Paranage, K 2018, 'Constructing the 'legalities' of encroachments in dam, canal, and stream reservations in the north-central province of Sri Lanka' Development Studies Research, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 59-68.
- Pruitt, L, Berents, H & Munro, G 2018, 'Gender and Age in the Construction of Male Youth in the European Migration "Crisis"' Signs, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 687-709.
- Segrave, M & Burnett-Wakes, K 2018, 'Addressing family violence through visa sponsor checks: a step in the right direction?', Current Issues in Criminal Justice, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 155-165.
- Van Kooy, J & Bowman, D 2018, ''Surrounded with so much uncertainty': asylum seekers and manufactured precarity in Australia' Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, vol. 45, no. 5, pp. 693-710, Online First.
- Wickes, R, Broidy, L & Hipp, J.R 2018, 'Responding to Neighborhood Problems: Is the Division of Community Labor Gendered?', Crime & Delinquency, vol. 64, no. 9, pp.1215-1241.
- Wickes, R & Hipp, J.R 2018, 'The spatial and temporal dynamics of neighborhood informal social control and crime', Social Forces, vol. 97, no. 1, pp. 277–308.
- Zahnow, R, Wickes, R, Taylor, M & Corcoran, J 2018, 'Community social capital and individual functioning in the post-disaster context', Disasters, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 261-288.
- Zahnow, R, Mazerolle, L, Wickes, R & Corcoran J 2018, 'Living near violence: How proximity to violence shapes perceptions of police effectiveness and confidence in police', Journal of Environmental Psychology, vol 53, pp. 138-144.
- Milivojevic, S., Hedwards, B. and Segrave, M. (2020), "Examining the Promise and Delivery of Sustainable Development Goals in Addressing Human Trafficking and Modern Slavery", Blaustein, J., Fitz-Gibbon, K., Pino, N.W. and White, R. (Ed.) The Emerald Handbook of Crime, Justice and Sustainable Development, Emerald Publishing Limited, pp. 335-353.
- Weber, L. & Powell, R., (2020) 'Crime, Pre-crime and Sub-crime: Deportation of ‘Risky Non-citizens’ as ‘Enemy Crimmigration’' in, Pratt, J. & Anderson, J. (eds.), Criminal Justice, Risk and the Revolt against Uncertainty. Cham Switzerland: Palgrave Macmillan, p. 245-272.
- Tan, S & Segrave, M 2020, ‘An Examination of Counter Trafficking Responses in the Asian Region: Hong Kong and Singapore’. In J Winterdyk & J Jones (eds.), The Palgrave International Handbook of Human Trafficking, Palgrave Macmillan, pp.917-934.
- Weber, L & Powell, R 2020, 'Crime, Pre-crime and Sub-crime: Deportation of ‘Risky Non-citizens’ as ‘Enemy Crimmigration’', in J Pratt & J Anderson, (eds.), Criminal Justice, Risk and the Revolt against Uncertainty, Cham Switzerland: Palgrave Macmillan, pp.245-272.
- Gamlen, A 2019, 'Crises of migration in crises of capitalism', in T. Vickers (ed.), Borders, Migration and Class in an Age of Crisis: Producing Workers and Immigrants.
- Gamlen, A 2019, 'Why engage diasporas?', in R. Cohen, & C. Fischer (eds.), Routledge Handbook of Diaspora Studies (pp. 302-310). Abingdon Oxon UK, Taylor & Francis, https://doi.org/10.4324/9781315209050.
- Gamlen, A & Mudaliar, L A 2019, 'Studying the climate-change-migration nexus', in S Nash (ed.), Recalling decisions past: Improvising a policy framework on migration and climate change, Bristol University Press.
- Gan, J & Forbes-Mewett, H M 2019, 'International students’ mental health: An Australian case study of Singaporean students’ perceptions', in K. Bista (ed.), Global Perspectives on International Student Experiences in Higher Education: Tensions and Issues, Routledge (Research in Higher Education), Abingdon Oxon UK, Routledge, pp.228-242.
- Moore, H, Segrave, M, Hedwards, B, & Milivojevic, S 2019, 'Australia’s response to human trafficking nationally and regionally: The question of impact', in J. Bryson-Clarke & S Poucki (eds.), The SAGE Handbook of Human Trafficking and Modern Day Slavery, London UK: SAGE Publications, pp. 434-452.
- Forbes-Mewett, H 2018, 'Responsibility', in B.A. Arrigo & G.J. Golson (eds.), The SAGE Encyclopedia of Surveillance, Security, and Privacy. Thousand Oaks: Sage.
- Gamlen, A 2018, 'Why Engage Diasporas', in R Cohen & C Fischer (eds.) The Routledge Handbook of Diaspora Studies, Routledge, London.
- Gunawardana, S J 2018, 'Rethinking labour migration and the state', in J True, S Parashar & A Tickner, Gendered States Revisited: Implications for 21st Century International Relations, Oxford University Press.
- Gunawardana, S J 2018, ‘Internal migration for development: women in global factories’, in J Elias & A Roberts, Handbook of International Political Economy and Gender, Edward Elgar.
- Powell, R & Segrave, M 2018 'In the absence of sympathy: Serious criminal offenders and the impact of border control measures', in A. Fili, S, Janhsen & R. Powell Criminal Justice Research in an Era of Mass Mobility, Routledge, London.
- Segrave, M. & Pfitzner, N. 2020. 'Family violence and temporary visa holders during COVID-19', Analysis and Policy Observatory, Monash University
- Ratnam, C., Wickes, R. Powell, R. and Keel, C. 2020 'Towards active engagement: Understanding how organisations are using technology to connect with diverse groups during COVID-19' Monash Migration and Inclusion Centre, Monash University. September 2020.
- Van Kooy, J., 2020, ‘COVID-19 and humanitarian migrants on temporary visas: assessing the public costs’, Research Briefing note 2, Refugee Council of Australia.
- Gamlen, A 2020 'Migration and Mobility after the 2020 Pandemic: The End of an Age?', Centre on Migration, Policy and Society Working Papers, University of Oxford.
- Lee, M, Jackson, J & Wickes, R 2020, 'Social Cohesion and Pro-Social Responses to Perceptions of Crime: Victoria report'
- van Kooy, J, Wickes, R & Ali, A 2020, 'Planning for Welcoming & Inclusive Communities: Guidelines for regional growth', Funded by the Queensland Government through Multicultural Affairs Queensland and supported by Welcoming Australia through the Welcoming Cities initiative. Commissioned Project. https://doi.org/10.26180/5e670a59bce2b.
- Weber, L 2020, ''You're going to be in the system forever': Policing, risk and belonging in Greater Dandenong and Casey', April 2020, Melbourne.
- Wickes, R, Grossman, M, Forbes-Mewett, H, Arunachalam, D, Smith, J, Skrbis, Z, Dellal, H & Keel, C 2020 'Understanding the context of racial and cultural exclusivism: A study of Melbourne neighbourhoods' Social Cohesion Research Grants Program, Victorian Department of Premier and Cabinet.
- Forbes-Mewett, H 2019, 'Mental health and international students: Issues, challenges and effective practice'. Melbourne, International Education Association of Australia (IEAA).
- van Kooy, J, Wickes, R & Ali, A 2019, 'Welcoming Regions', Funded by the Queensland Government through Multicultural Affairs Queensland and supported by Welcoming Australia through the Welcoming Cities initiative, Commissioned Project.
- Wickes, R, van Kooy, J, Powell, R, & Moran, C 2019, 'The social impacts of family separation on refugee settlement and inclusion in Australia', Research undertaken as part of Oxfam-Monash Partnership.
- Forbes-Mewett, H, Wickes, R, Markus, A & Nguyen, K 2018, 'International Students in Australia: A literature review of key issues over the last 20 years', Scanlon Foundation, this included employment, housing, education, language, among other major concerns, Commissioned Project.
- Maher, S & Deng, S A 2018, 'The role of transnational networks and mobile citizens in South Sudan's global community A pilot study focused on Melbourne and Juba', Rift Valley Institute and the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, Addis Ababa, March 2018.
- Weber, L 2018, ‘Police are good for some people, but not for us’: Community perspectives on young people, policing and belonging in Greater Dandenong and Casey', Dec 2018, Melbourne.
- Wickes, R, Forbes-Mewett, H, Markus, A, Keel, C & Powell, R 2018, 'Chinese and Indian Migration and Belonging in Australia'. Commissioned Project, Scanlon Foundation.
- Arunachalam, D., Smith, J, Waite, C, Lohm, D; Saberi, M, 2018, 'Housing and Transport Affordability in Melbourne: Insights from Qualitative Fieldwork'. Prepared for the Lord Mayor Charitable Foundation, https://doi.org/10.26180/5f6973a21cfd8
- Segrave, M., Joo Tan, S. (2020) Human trafficking: Twenty years on from the Palermo Protocol, how do we account for progress? Monash Lens, 30 July 2020.
- Powell, R., Weber, L., Gerard, A. and Marmo, M. (2020). ‘Crimmigration and Australian Border Control’ Border Criminologies Series. Juiy 2020.
- Bonotti, M, Benier, K and Collings-Hall, J 2020, 'Hate speech in the Time of COVID-19' MMIC Research Brief 3, July 2020
- Forbes-Mewett, H 2020, 'International students and mental health' MMIC Research Brief 2, June 2020.
- Gamlen, A 2020, 'Migration and Mobility after the 2020 Pandemic: The End of an Age?', Centre on Migration, Policy and Society Working Papers, University of Oxford.
- Lee, M, Jackson, J & Wickes, R 2020, 'Social Cohesion and Pro-Social Responses to Perceptions of Crime: Victoria report'. Research Paper, University of Sydney.
- Ratnam.C, Powell, R, Keel C, & Wickes, R 2020, 'The role of technology to facilitate and support intercultural engagement', MMIC Research Brief 1, May 2020.
- Powell, R, Wickes, R & Segrave, M 2020, 'COVID-19: Migrant visa holders and the pain of family separation in a time of coronavirus', Monash Lens, 28 April 2020.
- Weber, L. 2020, 'Could the COVID19 re-bordering of Australia change it for the better?', Monash Lens, 9 April 2020.
- Segrave, R & Maher, JM 2020, 'Coronavirus: Family violence and temporary migration in the time of COVID-19', Monash Lens, 2 April 2020.
- Weber, L 2020, '‘My kids won’t grow up here’: Policing, borders and belonging', Border Criminologies Blog, 1 April 2020.
- Wickes, R, and Piquero, A 2020, 'Hi, neighbour: The dynamics that shape Melbourne's inter-ethnic relationships', Monash Lens, 7 April 2020.