The MMIC researcher and postgraduate network have been very productive on the publishing front in the past few months and have a number of new publications to share with you.
- Fili, A., Jahnsen, S. and Powell, R. (2018) Criminal Justice Research in an Era of Mass Mobility, London: Routledge.
- Forbes-Mewett, H. (2018) The New Security: Individual, Community and Cultural Experiences. Palgrave Macmillan: Houndmills.
- Gamlen, A. (In Press 2018). Human Geopolitics: Emigrants, States and the Rise of Diaspora Institutions. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Segrave, M., Milivojevic, S., & Pickering, S. (2018) Sex Trafficking and Modern Slavery: The absence of evidence. Oxford: Routledge.
- Benier, K., Wickes, R., and Higginson, A. (2015). Ethnic hate crime in Australia: Diversity and change in the neighbourhood context. British Journal of Criminology, 56(3), 479-496.
- Corcoran, J., Zahnow, R., Wickes, R. and Hipp, J. (2017) 'Neighbourhood land use features, collective efficacy and local civic actions' Urban Studies: 1-19.
- Durbidge, L. (2017) 'Duty, desire, and Japaneseness: A case study of Japanese high school study abroad' Study Abroad Research in Second Language Acquisition and International Education, 2(2): 206-239.
- Forbes-Mewett, H. and McCulloch, J. (2016) International Students and Gender-Based Violence, Violence Against Women, 22(3): 344-365. DOI:10.1177/1077801215602344
- Forbes-Mewett, H. and Sawyer, A-M. (2016) International Students and Mental Health. Journal of International Students, 6(3): 661-677. IGA Global USA.
- Forbes-Mewett, H. and Wickes, R. (2017) The neighbourhood context of crime against international students. Journal of Sociology. Online first.
- Forbes-Mewett, H. (2016) The impact of regional higher education spaces on the security of international students, Higher Education Research and Development, Special Issue – New frontiers: Exploring the space/s of Higher Education, 35(1): 115-128. Routledge/Taylor & Francis.
- Gamlen, A., Bardsley, D. and Tan, Y. (In Press 2018) 'Weaving the strands: A review of Graeme Hugo's work on environmental migration' Population and Environment.
- Gamlen, A. and McIntyre, C. (In Press 2018) 'Mixing methods to explain emigrant engagement'. Journal of Mixed Methods Research.
- Gamlen, A., Cummings, M., and Vaaler, P. (2017) 'Explaining the rise of diaspora institutions' Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies. Online first.
- Gamlen, A., Overton, J. and Murray, W. (2017) 'Investigating Education, Migration and Development: Moving Triangles in the Pacific' The New Zealand Geographer, 73: 3-14.
- Gordon, E. (2017) 'Crimes of the Powerful in Conflict-Affected Environments: False Positives, Transitional Justice and the Prospects for Peace in Colombia', State Crime Journal, 6(1): 132-155.
- Han, G-S., Forbes-Mewett, H. and Wang, W. (2018) 'My own business, not my children's: Negotiating funeral rites and the mobility and communication juncture among Chinese migrants in Melbourne'. Mobilities.
- Hipp, J.R. and Wickes, R. (2018) Problems, perceptions and actions: An interdependent process for generating informal social control. Social science research, 73, pp.107-125.
- Hipp, J.R. and Wickes, R. (2017) 'Violence in urban neighborhoods: A longitudinal study of collective efficacy and violent crime' Journal for Quantitative Criminology, 33(4): 783-808.
- Hipp, J.R. and Wickes, R. (2016) Minority status distortion and preference for in-group ties. Socius, 2, p.2378023116640281.
- Hirsch, A. L. & Doig, C. (2018) 'Outsourcing Control: The International Organization for Migration in Indonesia', (2018) International Journal of Human Rights, 22(5): 681-708.
- Hirsch, A.L. & Bell, N. (2017) 'The Right to Have Rights as a Right to Enter: Addressing a Lacuna in the International Refugee Protection Regime', Human Rights Review, 18(4): 417-437.
- Kimpton, A., Corcoran, J. and Wickes, R. (2017) 'Greenspace and Crime: an Analysis of Greenspace Types, Neighboring Composition and the Temporal Dimensions of Crime',. Journal of Research of in Crime and Delinquency 54(3): 303-337.
- McNevin, A and Missbach, A. (2018) 'Refuge as a Horizon of Aspiration (Or, What The International Refugee Regime Can Learn From Acehnese Fishermen)', Journal for Refugee Studies.
- McNevin, A and Missbach, A. (2018) 'Luxury Limbo: Temporal techniques of border control and the humanitarianisation of waiting', International Journal of Migration and Border Studies. 4(1-2): 12-34.
Missbach, A. (2018) 'Facets of hospitality: the temporary stay of Rohingya refugees in Aceh', Indonesia, Vol. 104, 2017: 41-64.
- Okhovat,S., Hirsch, A., Hoang, K. & Dowd, R. (2017) 'Rethinking Resettlement and Family Reunion in Australia', 42(4) Alternative Law Journal 273.
- Palmer, W., & Missbach, A. (2018) 'Judicial Discretion and the Minimum Statutory Sentence for Migrant Smuggling through Indonesia' Asian Journal of Law and Society,1-19. doi:10.1017/als.2018.7
- Paranage, K. (In Press 2018) 'Constructing the 'legalities' of encroachments in dam, canal, and stream reservations in the north-central province of Sri Lanka' Development Studies Research.
- Pruitt, L., Berents, H. and Munro, G. (2018) 'Gender and Age in the Construction of Male Youth in the European Migration "Crisis"' Signs, 43(3): 687-709.
- Pruitt, L., Hamilton, G., Heydon, G. & Spark, C. (2017) 'Abbott's 'budget crisis', CALD women's loss? Service providers explore the impact of funding cuts'. Australian Journal of Political Science, 52(3): 335-350.
- Sargeant, E., Murphy, K., Wickes, R. and Mazerolle, L. (2017) 'Surrounded by violence: How do individual perceptions and community context shape views about violence?' Australian New Zealand Journal of Criminology.
- Segrave, M. and Burnett-Wakes, K. (2018) 'Addressing family violence through visa sponsor checks: a step in the right direction?' Current Issues in Criminal Justice 29(6) pp155-165
- Segrave, M., Forbes-Mewett, H. & Keel C. (2017) Migration Review Tribunal decisions in student visa cancellation appeals: Sympathy, hardship and exceptional circumstances Current Issues in Criminal Justice. 29 (1): 1-17
- Schermuly, A. and Forbes-Mewett, H. (2016) Food, identity and belonging among South African-Australians, British Food Journal 118(10): 2434-2443.
- Sydes, M., Wickes, R., Higginson, A. (2014). The spatial concentration of bias: An examination of the community factors that influence residents’ perceptions of bias crime. Australia New Zealand Journal of Criminology, 47(3), 409-428.
- Tan, H. and Forbes-Mewett, H. (2017) Whose 'fault' is it? Becoming Homeless in Singapore. Urban Studies. Online first.
- Van Kooy, J. and Bowman, D. (2018) ''Surrounded with so much uncertainty': asylum seekers and manufactured precarity in Australia' Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies. Online First.
- Wickes, R., Broidy, L. and Hipp, J.R., (2018) Responding to Neighborhood Problems: Is the Division of Community Labor Gendered?. Crime & Delinquency, 64(9), pp.1215-1241.
- Wickes, R., Zahnow, R., Shaefer, L., and Sparkes-Carroll, M. (2017) 'Neighborhood Guardianship and Property Crime Victimization', Crime & Delinquency, 63(5):519-544.
- Wickes, R., Britt, C. and Broidy L. (2017) 'The resilience of neighborhood social processes: A case study of the 2011 Brisbane Flood' Social Science Research, 62(1): 96-119.
- Wickes, R. and Hipp, J.R., 2018. The spatial and temporal dynamics of neighborhood informal social control and crime. Social Forces.
- Wickes, R., Hipp, J., Sargeant, E., and Mazerolle, L. (2017) 'Neighborhood social ties and shared expectations for informal social control: do they influence informal social control actions?', Journal of Quantitative Criminology, 33(1): 101-129.
- Wickes, R., Sydes, M., Benier, K., and Higginson, A. (2016). “Seeing” Hate Crime in the Community Do Resident Perceptions of Hate Crime Align With Self-Reported Victimization? Crime & Delinquency, 63(7), 875-896.
- Wickes, R., Pickering, S., Mason, G., Maher, J.M. and McCullough, J. (2015). From Hate to Prejudice: Does the new terminology of prejudice motivated crime change perceptions and reporting actions. British Journal of Criminology, 56(2), 239-255.
- Wickes, R. Zahnow, R., White, G. and Mazerolle, L. (2013). Ethnic diversity and its impact on community social cohesion and neighbourly exchange, Journal of Urban Affairs, 36(1), 51-78.
- Wickes, R., Hipp, J., Zahnow, R., and Mazerolle, L. (2013). “SEEING” MINORITIES AND PERCEPTIONS OF DISORDER, Criminology 51(3), 519-560.
- Wickes, R. (2010). Generating action and responding to local issues: Collective efficacy in context, Australian New Zealand Journal of Criminology, 48(3), 423-443.
- Zahnow, R., Wickes, R., Taylor, M. and Corcoran, J. (In press 2018) 'Community social capital and individual functioning in the post-disaster context', Disasters.
- Zahnow, R., Mazerolle, L., Wickes, R. and Corcoran J. (2018) 'Living near violence: How proximity to violence shapes perceptions of police effectiveness and confidence in police', Journal of Environmental Psychology Vol 53: 138-144.
- Zahnow, R., Wickes, R., Haynes, M., and Corcoran, J. (2017) 'Disasters and crime: The effect of flooding on property crime in Brisbane neighborhoods 'Journal of Urban Affairs, 1-21.
- Forbes-Mewett, H. (2018) 'Responsibility', in Bruce A. Arrigo and Geoffrey J. Golson (eds.), The SAGE Encyclopedia of Surveillance, Security, and Privacy. Thousand Oaks: Sage.
- Gamlen, A. (In Press 2018) 'Why Engage Diasporas'. In R. Cohen and C. Fischer (eds.) The Routledge Handbook of Diaspora Studies. London: Routledge.
- Gamlen, A. (In Press 2018) 'Why Engage Diasporas?' In K. Stierstorfer and J. Wilson (eds). The Routledge Diaspora Studies Reader. London: Routledge.
- Gan, J. and Forbes-Mewett, H. (2018) 'International Students Mental Health: An Australian case study of Singaporean students' perceptions. In K. Bista (ed.), Global Perspectives on International Student Experiences in Higher Education: Tensions and Issues. Routledge (Taylor & Francis, USA).
- Gunawardana, S. J. (2018) 'Rethinking labour migration and the state' in True, J., Parashar, S. & Tickner, A. Gendered States Revisited: Implications for 21st Century International Relations Oxford University Press.
Gunawardana, S. J. (2018). ‘Internal migration for development: women in global factories’ in Elias, J. & Roberts, A., Handbook of International Political Economy and Gender, Edward Elgar.
Gunawardana, S. J. (Forthcoming) 'Industrialization, Feminization and Mobilities' in Elias, J. & Roberts, A. Handbook of International Political Economy and Gender, Edward Elgar.
Missbach, A. (2018) 'Big fears about small boats: How asylum seekers keep upsetting the Indonesia-Australia relationship', in: T. Lindsey and D. McRae (eds), Strangers Next Door? Australia and Indonesia in the Asian Century, Bloomsbury Publishing, Melbourne, 2018: 123-144.
- Powell, R. and Segrave, M. (2018) 'In the absence of sympathy: Serious criminal offenders and the impact of border control measures' in A. Fili, S, Janhsen and R. Powell Criminal Justice Research in an Era of Mass Mobility, London: Routledge.
- Thomson, S. B., Nyland, C. and Forbes-Mewett, H. (2017) 'Stigma and Multi-National Corporations'. In S.B. Thomson and G. Grady (eds), Stigmas, Work and Organizations, Palgrave Macmillan, 207-228.
- Wickes, R. (2017) 'Social Disorganization Theory: Its History and Relevance to Crime Prevention'. In B. Teasdale and M. Bradley (eds.) Preventing Crime and Violence Springer International Publishing: 57-66.
- Zahnow, R. and Wickes, R. (2017) 'Violence and Aggression in Socially Disorganized Neighborhoods'. In Sturmey, P. (ed.), The Wiley Handbook of Violence and Aggression. John Wiley & Sons Publisher.
van Kooy, J., Wickes, R. and Ali, A.. (2019) 'Welcoming Regions'. Funded by the Queensland Government through Multicultural Affairs Queensland and supported by Welcoming Australia through the Welcoming Cities initiative. Commissioned Project.
- Forbes-Mewett, H., Wickes, R., Markus, A. and Nguyen, K. (2018) 'International Students in Australia: A literature review of key issues over the last 20 years'. Scanlon Foundation. This included employment, housing, education, language, among other major concerns. Commissioned Project.
- Maher, S and Deng, S. A. (2018 )'The role of transnational networks and mobile citizens in South Sudan's global community A pilot study focused on Melbourne and Juba'. Rift Valley Institute and the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, Addis Ababa. March 2018.
- Missbach, A. et al. (2018) 'The Presidential Decree regarding the treatment of refugees and asylum seekers in Indonesia' (Peraturan Presiden 125/2016), Policy Paper 14, Centre for Indonesian Law and Islamic Studies, University of Melbourne, 2018.
- Petrou, K. and Gamlen, A. (2017) 'Mapping super-diversity in South Australia: a literature review', for the Migration Museum of South Australia.
- Wasserman, R. and Gamlen, A. (2017) 'Literature review: Policy that encourages population to relocate to regional areas', for Page Research Centre.
- Wickes, R., Forbes-Mewett, H., Markus, A., Keel, C. and Powell, R. (2018) 'Chinese and Indian Migration and Belonging in Australia. Commissioned Project' Scanlon Foundation.
Blog posts and online
Missbach, A. and Palmer, W. (2018) 'Indonesia: A country grappling with migrant protection at home and abroad' Migration Policy Institute. 19 September 2018.
Missbach, A. (2018) 'Waiting Years On End', Refugee Research Blog 5 April 2018.