MIL Professional Development Modules
Developing cultural intelligence: working effectively across cultures
In today’s globalised world, particularly in multicultural societies such as Australia, all professions require a nuanced understanding of the challenges and opportunities created by cultural diverse workplace. This training program develops participants’ intercultural competence and provides participants with a practical ‘intercultural skill-set’ relevant to their workplace. Applying principles of experiential learning, this program is tailored to introduce participants to cultural intelligence by focusing on the following learning outcomes:
- Understand Cultural Intelligence
- Develop Action plan for improving and applying cultural intelligence
- Effectively evaluate how cultural differences shape discourse, attitudes and behaviours
- Identify and adapt communication patterns and styles
- Develop skills and attitudes to successfully manage teams working with people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
The training includes self-refection and group activities in order to equip participants with skills for enhancing inclusive leadership.
Understanding unconscious bias
This workshop introduces participants to the principles of unconscious bias, the latest information on the topic, and why it matters so much in a culturally diverse workplace. The topics that we will focus on are:
- Increasing awareness of the participants’ own cultural identity
- Understanding where unconscious biases come from, and how they can infuence our interaction with others
- How to manage unconscious biases
The workshop includes practical strategies to help manage unconscious biases. The materials and information provided are based on robust research, but the workshop itself is very interactive. It allows participants to unpack the strategies of managing unconscious bias and apply them through role-play, discussion, and refective exercises. The workshop emphasises how to apply these ideas and strategies in workplaces of high cultural diversity, in order to work effectively across differences by fostering inclusivity. By the end of the workshop, participants will be able to:
- Apply a suite of new habits and strategies to break unconscious bias.
- Identify different forms of unconscious bias
- Understand the relationship between unconscious bias and cultural intelligence
- Manage unconscious biases at the workplace to increase productivity and foster best practices.
Fostering intercultural competence for educators
Teaching and learning in culturally diverse environments can be an extremely rewarding and rich experience for both educators and learners. Tapping into learners’ and educators’ cultural frames to further enhance and support student learning presents both opportunities and challenges. Important questions to consider for teaching and learning culturally and linguistically diverse learners:
- To what extent do different cultural capabilities shape and promote or hinder students’ learning opportunities?
- How can a better understanding of cultural values support educators in enhancing their pedagogy and teaching practices as well as allowing meaningful interactions with students?
- What strategies can support educators to maximise their teaching repertoire capabilities when teaching culturally and linguistically diverse learners?
The program will focus on creating refective opportunities for educators to develop their intercultural competence for culturally and linguistically diverse environments, as well as on building effective teaching strategies to enhance learning in culturally diverse environments. By the end of the workshop, participants will be able to:
- Compare different cultural values and how these values can shape individuals’ behaviours
- Consider what cultural intelligence capabilities can best support their teaching practices in offshore programs
- Develop teaching strategies to engage learners from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds
- Consider their personal growth development in relation their cultural intelligence capabilities
- Evaluate the different teaching strategies to engage culturally and linguistically diverse learners implemented in the offshore teaching contexts during the year
- Develop enhanced teaching strategies to engage culturally and linguistically diverse learners