Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music and Performance Occupational Health & Safety
This site provides guidelines and processes specific to the School of Music and Performance.
In an emergency
- Call 000
- Call security (333 from any wall phone, or 9905 3333 from mobile phones)
- Notify a member of staff to help if possible
If you hear the alert tone ("beep beep beep" sound)
- Stop what you are doing and prepare to evacuate. Do not immediately evacuate the building, instead wait for further instructions from the building warden, or you hear the evacuation tone.
If you hear the evacuation tone ("whoop whoop" sound)
- Evacuate via the nearest fire exit and proceed to the assembly area.
- Do not use the lifts.
Please follow the instructions given to you by staff and Floor Wardens. For a full list of Safety personnel contact details please see below:
If someone is injured
- Call security (333 from any internal phone, or 9905 3333 from mobile phones)
- Notify a member of staff
What if something is unsafe
We try really hard to keep everybody safe. To do this, we rely on everyone to report hazards and incidents so that we can respond appropriately. If you have seen something unsafe, witnessed an accident or some other incident, please follow the following steps:
- Report in S.A.R.A.H. - Report an Incident/Hazard.
- Advise your Supervisor.
- Ensure the SoMP Professional Staff Safety team are aware by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org.
OHS must be formally documented in the performance development process and can be included either as annual work and/or development goals.
- You must carry your Staff/Student card at all times.
- If you have swipe-card access, you must not loan your swipe card or provide access to others.
- Use of Practice rooms, Performance spaces and Digital Hub requires a booking. Bookings should be made through the SiSo system - https://monash.siso.co/som or email@example.com.
- Do not consume food or drink in Practice rooms, Performance spaces and Digital Hub.
- Clean up after yourself and leave the space tidy.
- Report all equipment faults to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your personal safety
- In an emergency, Security can be contacted by calling 333 from any internal phone, or 9905 3333 from mobile phones.
- For general Security enquiries, call 27777 from any internal phone, or 9902 7777 from mobile phones.
- Security officers can escort you to your car, public transport, and taxi/uber pick-up points. This free 24 hour service is available to all staff and students from anywhere on campus.
- Security also provides a free bus service from 5:30pm to midnight. More details can be found at https://www.monash.edu/about/safety-security/services
- If you are working or studying after-hours you should let someone (such as a friend or relative) know, where you will be, what time you think you will return home, and how they can contact Security if you do not return on time.
As a Visitor, it is important to familiarise yourself with the Occupational Health & Safety procedures within the school and of the University.
Long term visitors (visiting Academics or visitors here for an extended period of time) will need to meet with the School Safety Officer to complete a Local OHS Induction. This will be arranged by your supervisor within the first few days of your visit.
Please familiarise yourself with the SoMP Risk Assessments to ensure your safety during your stay (see 'Risk Assessments' section below).
HDR students who have been allocated a desk at the Clayton campus will need to complete a local OHS Induction which will be conducted by both the HDR Director (Professor Stacy Holman Jones) and the School Manager (Jodie Wood).
- Staff and students should familiarise themselves with the following Risk Assessments:
- ARTS - PAC - SoMP - Music Performance Areas #3005
- ARTS - PAC - SoMP Theatre spaces (DT, RR and DS) #5869
- ARTS - PAC - SoMP - Students/Staff Working after hours and working alone in PAC #6986
- ARTS - PAC - SoMP - Minimum requirements for a return to campus activities during the COVID-19 pandemic #24910
- ARTS - PAC - SoMP - Ensemble and 1 to 1 student teaching/rehearsals/practice activities in the PAC, MPavilion and MPAC during the COVID-19 updated Apr 16th #27386
- ARTS - PAC - SoMP - woodwind, brass and vocal student teaching/rehearsals/practice activities during the COVID-19 #25623
- ARTS - PAC - SoMP - Rehearsal/Performance based activities (SiSo) #10430
You can find these assessments on the Safety and Risk Analysis Hub (SARAH). It is easiest to filter by risk number.
The School of Music and Performance (SoMP) has equipment and facilities that may pose some risks to users. If you are booking a space in the SoMP, you must be familiar with the above risk assessments.
If you are performing activities outside of those described as above, you will need to complete your own risk assessment to cover these additional activities.
Students can contact the PAC Technical team for assistance (email@example.com).
Staff should contact the SoMP Safety Officer - Jodie Wood (9905 3230) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are unsure of an activity do not do it! Please ask a staff member or member of the technical team for assistance and guidance.
Seen something that could be improved? Whether it be equipment, safety or procedures, we are always open to feedback. Please contact us at email@example.com.