Emerging Composer Prize
This prize is open to those who have a passion for composition and music technology and are 21 years of age or under as of 31st December 2021.
What are the judges looking for?
An original (unassisted) musical work reflective of contemporary practice, either acoustic or electronic.
Productions / compositions will be judged on:
- Strength of compositional craft
- Competence of studio-based production/notation.
What do I submit?
- Not exceed 5 minutes.
- Be either a recording (mp3 preferred) or for notated works, presented as a PDF with a recording of a performance if possible. Notation files (eg Sibelius, Finale etc) also eligible with MIDI sound.
- Include a short 50-word statement outlining what the entrant believes is the most important aspect of studying music technology and/or composition. Files must be named as follows: SURNAME INITIAL CMT Prize 2020. Eg: Jones S CMT Prize 2021.
Applications now closed.
The top 3 finalists will receive individual feedback on their performance. All copyright and master recording ownership of the compositions/productions will remain with the composer/producer.
All finalists will be notified by Monday, 27th September.
What are the conditions of the prize?
- The Prize 2021 will be awarded to only one winner
- One entry per person
- The judges' decisions are final in all respects
- Samples of larger works are acceptable, however must exhibit a high level of creative arrangement
- To be eligible, you must not be currently enrolled in a tertiary institution.