Emerging Jazz Performer Prize
This prize is open to those who have a passion for jazz performance and are 21 years of age or under as of 31st December 2021.
What are the judges looking for?
Performances will be judged on the following selection criteria:
- Knowledge of style
- Knowledge of improvisation
- Creativity and interaction
- Instrumental competence
What do I submit?
Submissions must contain the following:
- A performance of a jazz standard with accompaniment in the form of a backing track or live accompaniment
- Delivered as a web based link (e.g. Youtube, Wetransfer, Dropbox, Hightail, Google Drive) of video showing the performance.
- A short 50-word statement outlining the students' experience and ambition within jazz performance.
The video need not be professionally produced (iPhone quality is acceptable), however the sound of the performer should be easily heard above the accompaniment, and the visual presentation directed towards the camera. Videos must be unedited and one continuous take. The file should be titled as follows: SURNAME INITIAL MUEJP Prize 2020. Eg. JONES S MUEJP Prize 2021.
Applications now closed.
The top 3 finalists will receive some brief individual feedback.
All finalists will be notified by Monday, 27th September.
What are the conditions of the prize?
- The prize will be awarded to only one winner in 2021
- One entry containing one performance per person
- The judges' decisions are final in all respects
- The improvised elements must be spontaneous, and not predetermined
- Duration: the performance should include at least one chorus of improvisation
- To be eligible, you must not be currently enrolled in a tertiary institution.