This Research Group studies street music in all its forms, historical and contemporary. We are interested to learn why people busk, and where they busk and the role that festivals, government regulation and technology play in buskers’ livelihoods.
Our scholarship and advocacy aligns with the United Nation’s Sustainable Action 2015 Goal 11, ‘Make cities safe, resilient and sustainable’. We endeavour to work with industry partners and regulators to advocate for the rights and cultural significance of busking.
- Daniel Bacchieri, Founder and Curator, StreetMusicMap
- Dr Andrea Baker, Monash University (Media, Film and Journalism)
- Dr Jacek Blaszkiewicz, Wayne State University
- Dr Gay Breyley, Monash University (Music)
- Nick Broad, co-founder of The Busking Project
- Dr Sarah Chaker, Universität für Musik und darstellende Kunst, Vienna
- Dr Meg Elkins, RMIT University (Economics, Finance and Marketing)
- Michael Fortunato, Creative Insight Community Development (CICD), USA
- Pablo Iván Argüello González, Escuela Nacional de Antropología e Historia, México
- Ewelina Grygier, Polish Academy of Sciences
- Amanda Krause, ARC Centre for the History of Emotions, University of Melbourne
- Dr John Garzoli, Monash University (Music)
- Associate Professor Shane Homan, Monash University (Media, Film and Journalism)
- Dr Samuel Horlor, Durham University (Music)
- Matthew Horsley, Monash University (Music)
- Professor Adam Kaul, Augustana College (Anthropology)
- Liliana Maz, co-founder of The Busking Project
- Professor Luke McNamara, University of New South Wales (Law)
- Dr Nick Nourse, University of Bristol (Music)
- Marta Katarzyna Połeć, Jagiellonian University, Krakow (Humanistic Management)
- Associate Professor Julia Quilter, University of Wollongong (Law)
- Dr Jhessica Reia, Andrew W. Mellon Postdoctoral Researcher, McGill University
(Art History and Communication Studies)
- Dr Paul Simpson, Plymouth University (Human Geography)
- Professor Carolyn S. Stevens, Monash University (Japanese Studies)
- Dr Sarah Taylor, RMIT University
- Dr Nicholas Tochka, Melbourne Conservatorium of Music
Funded by the Monash Research Accelerator Program an International Conference on Street Music was held on 8–9 December 2014.
View the conference program.