Each year, the CDES brings leading scholars in the areas of development economics and sustainability to Monash Business School. During their visits, they share their knowledge with staff, students and members of the public through public lectures, seminars, workshops and informal discussions.
Yasuyuki Sawada on Asia's economic outlook
The Chief Economist of the ADB explained that 2017 had seen a broad-based economic recovery in Asia, and that the focus should now shift to improving productivity in the region.
Kaushik Basu on the challenges for the global economy
The former World Bank Chief Economist discussed the rise of labour-saving technologies and how protectionist policies pose real dangers for the world economy.
Thomas Piketty on capital and inequality in the 21st century
The renowned French economist warned that economic and political stability will not be sustainable unless redistributive policies, such as a global wealth tax, are adopted.
Below is a sample of the recent visitors to the Centre.
- Professor Akihiko Kaneko, Waseda University (April 2018 to March 2019)
- Dr Aparajita Dasgupta, Ashoka University (June 2018)
- Professor Anthony Venables, Oxford University (June 2018)
- Dr Martina Menon, University of Verona (Feb 2018)
- Professor Carlo Federico Perali, University of Verona (Feb 2018)
- Professor Marcello D'Amato, University of Salerno (Feb 2018)
- Professor Ian Coxhead, University of Wisconsin (Feb 2018)
- Professor Martin Ravallion, Georgetown University (Feb 2018)
- Dr Nancy Birdsall, Center for Global Development (Feb 2018)
- Dr Syed Mohammad Hassan Naqvi, Sungkyunkwan University (Jan 2018)
- Professor Dilip Mookherjee, Boston University (Jan 2018)
- Dr Paola Subacchi, Chatham House (Nov 2017)
- Dr Zsoka Koczan, IMF (Oct 2017)
- Dr Chatib Basri, ANU (May 2017)
- Professor Luis-Felipe López-Calva, World Bank (Feb 2017)
- Mr Dhiraj Nayyar, NITI Aayog (Nov 2016)
- Professor Gary Fields, Cornell University (Oct 2016)
- Professor Imran Ali, Karachi School of Business and Leadership (Sept 2016)
- Dr Sultan Hefeez Rahman, BRAC Institute of Governance and Development (Sept 2016)
- Professor Glenn Denning, Columbia University (Mar 2016)