QTEM Graduate exchange and internship program
Quantitative Techniques for Economics and Management (QTEM)
Boost your career prospects and gain a QTEM degree together with your Monash Master's degree in Econometrics, Economics or Finance studies. Develop in-depth skills in analytical and quantitative techniques, study a semester overseas, and advance your industry skills with a Monash sourced internship.
The QTEM international network brings together outstanding students, academics and international corporations. Currently comprised of 24 universities and 14 corporate partners around the globe, the QTEM Master's program offers a unique opportunity for students to become future decision makers who are highly skilled in analytical and quantitative techniques and comfortable in international settings.
- Guaranteed internship
- $1250 from Monash Abroad (subject to change yearly)
- Cost of online self study GMAT tutorials
- Provided you score 650 on your GMAT exam you will be reimbursed for the cost of $250 USD
- Monash travel insurance
- $3000 Monash business school grant
|Monash study period||
Semester 1 2024
|Applications open||21 March 2023|
|Applications close||5 June 2023|
|GMAT deadlines||7 September 2023|
Frequently asked questions View
As internships are sourced through our Work Integrated Learning (WIL) team, you can not specify a particular company or location. You will be placed based on availability and meeting the QTEM requirements of a quantitative placement
Yes you can complete a “self sourced” internship. If you find an amazing opportunity you still need to go through an application process to formalise your placement. We can assist you with that when the time comes.
As a QTEM student you do not need to follow the standard process as your placement is guaranteed. Once your QTEM exchange is confirmed we will liaise with you regarding the next steps.
All QTEM internships are unpaid, so remuneration should not be discussed. You will be enrolled in a 6 credit point WIL unit and gain credit towards your degree.
You must be enrolled in one of the following degrees:
- B6001 Master of Applied Economics and Econometrics
- B6003 Master of Advanced Finance
- B6004 Master of Banking and Finance
You will require four application/elective units to be available in your degree to be eligible. If you are unsure you can still apply and we will check your course progression for you.
A list of our exchange partners can be found here.
Global Business Analytics Challenge. You will be required to complete this challenge while you are on exchange. You will be put into teams with students from across the world and work together virtually to find innovative solutions to real world issues. More information can be found here.
The GMAT is a multiple-choice, computer-based and computer-adaptive standardised exam. The GMAT exam measures your command of basic arithmetic, algebra, geometry, multi-source data analysis, and grammar. More importantly, it measures your ability to analyze and evaluate written material, think critically, and solve problems. The GMAT is first and foremost a test of your critical thinking skills. Knowing how to reason through and analyse information is the key to a great GMAT score.
The content on the GMAT is broken down into four scored test sections, two of which are scored separately, and two of which are scored separately but are also combined to generate your composite score:
- Analytical writing assessment
- Integrated reasoning
- We will coordinate and pay for online GMAT tutorials
- Reimbursement of GMAT exam costs
- Monash Abroad grant (subject to availability)
- Travel insurance (when undertaking QTEM related international travel)
- Other business school funding may be available (determined annually)
Eligibility and how to apply View
Eligible students from each member university may participate in the QTEM program. Outstanding Monash Business School students from the following Master's courses are encouraged to apply.
Applicants need to have the basic pre-requisites to acquire and strengthen key analytical skills and show evidence of maturity, creativity, openness and dynamism. Applicants are chosen based on the following criteria:
- Academic excellence
- Entrepreneurial spirit
- Quantitative proficiency
- *Weighted Average Mark (WAM) of 65+
- Students will require four available electives to be eligible
- *A minimum GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test) score of 650
- Approval of a panel of academic and corporate members.
*At time of program commencement
QTEM applicants from Monash Business School are reimbursed for the cost of the one GMAT test if they score 650+. Access to GMAT online self guided Tutorial will also be covered.
As part of the QTEM program, you will be required to complete the following:
- One or two semesters of quantitative and analytical study at one of the international QTEM partner universities
- A six credit point internship
QTEM focuses on two aspects which are, in my view, the most important to stand out in the current job market: a real international exposure and a toolbox of quantitative skills couple with managerial competencies.
–Laura M., QTEM alumnus
Through the QTEM program you can develop in-depth knowledge through top quality programs, delivered by some of the world's best business schools.
- You will be exposed to international experience and industries, and have access to a growing network of QTEM alumni, academics and corporate partners
- You will gain privileged access to attractive jobs in multinational companies and public institutions around the world
- Successful completion of the program will earn you QTEM Master's degree, to compliment your other qualifications.
QTEM students are not just academically talented; we find them to be motivated, entrepreneurial, open-minded and with strong leadership potential... the necessary ingredients to build a more sustainable world.
–Michaela Rankin, Deputy Dean International, Monash Business School