International industry placements
In today’s highly globalised world, employers really value those with international experience. It allows for greater cross-cultural understanding, and opens up new avenues of thinking, bringing a fresh perspective into a business. An international internship will be a transformative experience, highlighting that you are willing to go above and beyond to achieve your goals.
International placements are now open to ALL students. As of Summer A 2022, students will be able to travel overseas to complete an IE placement.
An overseas internship experience is professional work experience and adventure rolled into one. Pack your bag with curiosity, open yourself to other cultures, be willing to learn, and build an appetite to tackle new challenges.
Please read the information below to ensure you understand the application process and requirements and please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
It is important that you check your host meets this criteria before submitting the placement application.
Host organisations must meet Monash University minimum standards and OHS guidelines:
- All host organisations should have 5 or more employees on the days the student attends the placement.
- Host organisation premises cannot be in ‘home offices’ or at a private residence.
- Students generally cannot undertake a placement in a small family business.
- All host organisations must sign a student placement agreement.
- All host organisations must have public liability and professional indemnity insurance or ‘equivalent’.
- All host supervisors must be willing to complete a student evaluation form as part of the IE unit assessment – this will be provided to the host by the student and return to the student to enable the student to complete IE unit assessments
How to apply for an offshore student sourced placement
It is your responsibility to ensure that you have available credit points in your course to fit your IE unit. IE units can usually be taken in place of elective or capstone units, or a combination of both.
We encourage you to use the Monash University handbook from the year you started your course for guidance. To access accurate course advice and a new course plan, please contact the Monash University Course Advice team.
Offshore host organisations
Many organisations have industry internship programs where you need to apply directly to them in a competitive process. You are able to use this internship for the IE program if:
- The placement you are applying for meets our IE guidelines
- The position start and end dates align with the teaching period
- Your application is received prior to the application closing date for the teaching period aligning with your internship
- You are eligible to enrol in the IE program (see eligibility for Undergraduate / Graduate)
- Student placement pack – All hosts and students must complete the Student placement pack. When completing the pack, please ensure the host organisation name is completed correctly and is consistent throughout the placement pack. All hosts must provide the details of their public liability and indemnity Insurance or equivalent.
Please download the appropriate student placement pack below:
- Student acknowledgement form – please download and complete this form.
Once you have completed all the required documents, you can begin your online application:
- Log into your Monash student placements portal (InPlace) and submit an online IE placement application.
- For assistance with your InPlace application, see the step-by-step guide.
- Placement proposal: Upload your responses to the placement proposal questions. This will be used to assess your application suitability and provide details about your host organisation:
- Please complete all information requested in the online application form, including the unit you are planning to enrol in.
- Please ensure you upload the placement pack documents listed in Step 2.
What to expect:
- After your application has been submitted, we will send you an application acknowledgement email. Please note that offshore applications take on average up to 8 weeks to process.
- Your eligibility will be assessed and your application will be checked to ensure we have all the information we need. We’ll contact you if we need further information.
- We will conduct checks on the placement suitability and your host organisation. If we need any more information we’ll contact you by email.
- We’ll get in touch to let you know the outcome of your application. This may be as late as O-week depending on when you submitted your application and the type of placement you are applying for. If your application is successful, your enrolment will be processed and you’ll need to confirm it in WES.
You'll get access to the relevant Moodle site where you’ll find all the information about your assessment.
In order for you to understand what to expect during your industry placement, you are required to attend an Induction Session, which will cover important information regarding assessment and very useful workplace information. Please note your student card will be scanned to confirm your attendance and those who don't attend will be contacted.
You will receive details of the session in your placement confirmation email.
Units and eligibility
It is important to follow the application and approval process when applying for these opportunities.
You will be required to register with Monash Abroad. This will provide the university with information regarding your placement overseas. Your placement will not be approved and you will not be enrolled in the IE unit unless you have submitted your Monash Abroad registration.
It is the responsibility of the student to ensure they have the correct visas for the country they will be completing their International IE placement.
You will be invited to an online placement induction session where you’ll have the chance to meet other students through Zoom who are embarking on a placement.
The unit assessment induction session is available on Moodle and provides you with valuable information about your unit assessment requirements. If you are unable to access this session, please contact your academic unit coordinator and check Moodle as soon as you have access to the unit to ensure you are aware of your assessment schedule.
Using Third Party Providers for placements overseas
You may choose to source an opportunity through an internship or placement organisation and once successful, submit a student sourced application. Monash University will require that your agreement includes information about the host organisation and the Third-Party Provider. We will thoroughly check the program is suitable before we approve the placement. Please ensure you provide as much information as possible to assist us to process your application.