Undergraduate industry experience
Want to get hands-on experience while you study, and open up new possibilities for your career? Then an industry placement (internship) might be for you!
Undergraduate industry placement features and eligibility criteria
- Available to domestic, and international students (some restrictions may apply)
- Can be paid or unpaid depending on the industry partner
- Available in a wide range of host organisations, including for profit and not-for-profit
- Run from 20 days to 12 weeks
- Include academic and work supervisor assessment activities
- Students can find their own industry placements and projects, but they MUST be approved by the WIL Team and Academic Coordinators before enrolment to ensure they meet the unit requirements and Monash University guidelines.
- An industry placement unit(s) counts as an elective unit(s) in your degree
- You must have a minimum weighted average mark (WAM) of 60
- You must have completed 96 credit points (16 units) of study prior to internship commencement
- You must have an appropriate number of open elective units left in your course.
- International students undertaking paid internships
Students are permitted to work a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight when their course is 'in session', and unlimited hours when their course is 'out of session'.
- International students undertaking unpaid internships
An internship that is formally registered as part of your course, is not included in the 40 hours per fortnight limitation.
Prior to accepting any paid placement, international students should check their work rights on their individual student visa to ensure they remain compliant with visa conditions at all times. More information about student visa conditions can be found on the Department of Home Affairs website.
Application and approval process
Building N, Level 4,
Menzies Building (Building 11), Level 2,
If you have questions about specific opportunities or the application process, get in touch with the WIL Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or on +61 3 9903 8866.