Victoria and Tasmania study tour
For undergraduate and postgraduate students
Dates: 1-12 July 2019
Location: Melbourne, Victoria; Launceston and Hobart, Tasmania
Applications opening soon.
Tasmania, an island state off Australia’s south coast, is known for its vast, rugged wilderness areas, largely protected within parks and reserves. Rich in natural and cultural heritage, Tasmania has become the state busting out with fab festivals and sensational food and drink, riding a tourism-fuelled economic boom that’s the envy of all Australia.
One of the driving forces that forges the boom of Tasmania is its versatile and sustainable agricultural sector. A well gifted natural environment places Tasmanian agricultural products in a privileged position in both international and domestic market. More than a quarter of Tasmania’s land area of 68,300 sq km is committed to agriculture, with dairy products, meat, vegetables and fruit esteemed in key markets.
The agricultural sector directly employs around 10,000 people. When primary production is combined with dependent downstream processing, it delivers around a third of Gross State Product, about a third of employment and a quarter of all overseas exports.
This intensive course is designed to provide you with an opportunity to investigate and gain a valuable insight into some of the key agricultural businesses in Tasmania in the sustainable global business context. The program combines both formal on-campus studies at Monash Caulfield campus and a tour to two major cities in Tasmania, Launceston and Hobart.
During your stay in Tasmania, each day you will have chances to visit signature agricultural firms in both cities to have a real ‘taste’ of Tasmania! Those firms include the OZ honey farm and Boags Brewery in Launceston, and an award winning fruit farm and oyster farm in Hobart.
After the return, you will undertake the group work and other assessment tasks to complete the unit.
Who should consider this unit?
Undergraduate students and postgraduate students. You should seek advice from your course advisor
The package paid by Monash Business School will include:
- Airfare from Melbourne to Launceston and return from Hobart to Melbourne
- Hotel accommodation in Tasmania
- Transportation to all locations included in the itinerary
- Monash travel insurance policy for the period of overseas study, plus 60 days of travel before and after the program*
* Details on the Monash Abroad complimentary travel insurance.
The package does not include:
- Monash University fees for 6 credit points of study, students will enrol in BEX3722/BEX5722
- Local travel except for program site visits
- Medical expenses (which may be claimable via the insurance policy)
- Meals and drinks not included in the program
- Personal expenses