Starting your own business
Consider being your own boss by starting a business. You could create a new business, buy an existing business or start a franchise. Before starting a business in Australia, you should do some research.
- Business Victoria - Setting up a business
- myfuture - 7 points to consider before starting a small business
- ASIC - Starting a company
Know the financial burden and risks and hidden costs before undertaking a business. You may have very little income until the business makes a profit and may be risking your personal assets, or someone else's.
Research statistics on small business statistics - eg how many small businesses fail each year (business exits).
Get advice and support
- Entrepreneurship at Monash
- Business Enterprise Centres
- Business Victoria - Support for your business
- Small Business Festival Victoria
- Indigenous Business Australia
- Small Business Mentoring Service
- Innovation, entrepreneurship and enterprise (Future Work, future leaders)
Before registering your business
If you want to have a website, you should check if there is an existing web address (domain or domain name) before registering a name or business number.
Recent graduates and self-employment
Some degrees are more likely to lead to self-employment such as art design and architecture, drama and multimedia/computing.
Most graduates get experience with an employer before starting their own business. Consider starting a business in your spare time while working another job part-time. This will give you time to test your business ideas and still have an income.