Extending your student visa

Reasons you may need a new visa

If your current visa expires before you finish your course, you may need to extend your stay. This could be because you:

  • failed one or more units
  • reduced your study load
  • took intermission (study leave)
  • transferred to another course
  • submitted your thesis later than expected
  • plan to remain in Australia while under examination after submitting your thesis.

How to apply

  1. About eight weeks before your visa expires, apply for a new Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) in the Web Enrolment System (WES). If approved, you’ll receive your new CoE by email about 5 to 10 working days after you apply.
    Exception: If you’re a student with an Australia Awards Scholarship, you don’t need a CoE, only an approval letter from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT). To find out more, email australia.awards@monash.edu.
  2. Renew your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of your new visa. To work out the cost, use the OSHC calculator or speak to an OSHC representative.
    If you're with Allianz, you can renew and pay your OSHC online. If you're with another provider, you’ll need to contact them directly. Your receipt of payment is proof of renewal.
  3. After renewing your health cover, notify Monash University by emailing your Certificate of Insurance (CoI) to oshc@monash.edu.
  4. Submit your visa (Subclass 500) application at least two weeks before your current visa expires.
  5. After you apply, check your email for an acknowledgement letter from the Department of Home Affairs as well information on the granting of a bridging visa (for applicants in Australia only).
  6. While waiting for the outcome of your application: Processing times for visa applications may vary.

If you’re under 18

If you’re under 18 years old, contact our International Student Engagement (ISE) team at iss@monash.edu or call +61 3 9905 6267.

Research degree students

If you’re unable to submit your thesis by the end or your course, you’ll need to apply for a candidature extension as well as a new CoE.

If you’ve submitted your thesis for marking but you’re required to stay in Australia for your thesis correction, you don’t need a new CoE to apply for a new visa, but you do need to provide a letter from your supervisor.

Got a question? Monash Connect can help