Students who are carers

Monash supports students who are carers of a person who is aged and frail or has a disability, medical or mental health condition. If you're in this situation and it affects your ability to study, you can discuss reasonable adjustments with a disability adviser. To receive this support, you'll need to register as a carer.

How do I register as a carer?

Ask the qualified health professional (with expertise in the appropriate field) treating the person, to complete the Carer Registration (pdf 350kb). Then contact Disability Support Services to make an appointment with a disability adviser. This form may not be completed by a relative or family friend, due to a potential conflict of interest.

Definition of carer

To register, you need to be a person who provides personal care, support and assistance to another person who needs it because that other person has a disability, medical condition, mental health condition or is aged and frail, and that person is substantially dependent on you for ongoing care.

A person is not a carer merely because they are the spouse, de facto partner, parent, child, other relative or guardian of another person. A person is also not a carer simply because they live with a person who requires care (Carer Recognition Act 2012).

Other documents

If you're providing a letter from the health professional instead of using the form, it should include:

  • information about the condition of the person you're caring for
  • whether their condition is permanent, fluctuating or temporary
  • a statement describing the care for which the person depends on you
  • how your study may be impacted by these caring responsibilities.

Email all documents to (we don't accept documents by post).

If you need more information on providing documents, please contact us.


Details of your disability and registration are securely maintained by Disability Support Services and will not be disclosed to other areas of the University without your consent. For more information regarding privacy, please refer to the Disability Support Services Privacy Statement. Your registration with Disability Support Services will not be noted on your academic transcript.