Cool Kids Program
This program will run throughout the year. The upcoming dates are as follows:
- Fridays, between 9am and 5pm
- 1 hour for individual families,
1 to 2 hours for groups, depending on child age and number of families.
- Online via Zoom
- $484 (plus purchase of Cool Kids workbooks: $49 plus delivery).
What is Cool Kids program?
Cool Kids is a structured 10-week program that teaches children (ages 7 - 17 years) and their parents how to better manage anxiety.
- Both the child and the parent/s attend each session together.
- Participants can choose to work as an individual family or to join with another family of similar age and needs.
- Learning about feelings and anxiety
- Learning to think more realistically
- Parenting an anxious child
- Fighting fear by facing fear (stepladders)
- Learning other coping skills such as building assertiveness or learning to solve problems
- Increases in school attendance, academic achievement, confidence, number of friends, involvement in extra-curricular activities;
- Decreases in worry, shyness, fear and family distress.
- Delivery of the Cool Kids program will be tailored according to the unique needs, goals and interests of each family.
- The program was developed by Macquarie University.
- It is based on Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) and involves the participation of child and parent, and focuses on teaching practical skills.
- The program has undergone continual scientific evaluation and development to include the latest understanding of anxiety and its treatment.
- Current results indicate that most young people who complete the program show significant improvement. Following treatment, there are marked increases in school attendance, academic achievement, confidence, number of friends and involvement in extra-curricular activities and decreases in worry, shyness, fear and family distress.