Cool Kids Program
This program will run throughout the year. The upcoming dates are as follows:
- Fridays, 9:00 - 11:00am
- Monash Krongold Clinic
Suite 2, Building 2, 270 Ferntree Gully Rd, Notting Hill VIC
(View on google maps)
What is Cool Kids program?
Cool Kids is a structured 10-week program that teaches children (ages 7 - 17 years) and their parents how to better manage anxiety.
- Both the child and the parent/s attend each session together.
- Participants will be split into small groups based on age and needs.
- Learning about feelings and anxiety
- Learning to think more realistically
- Parenting an anxious child
- Fighting fear by facing fear (stepladders)
- Learning other coping skills such as building assertiveness or learning to solve problems
- Increases in school attendance, academic achievement, confidence, number of friends, involvement in extra-curricular activities;
- Decreases in worry, shyness, fear and family distress.
- The program was developed by Macquarie University.
- It is based on Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) and involves the participation of child and parent, and focuses on teaching practical skills.
- The program has undergone continual scientific evaluation and development to include the latest understanding of anxiety and its treatment.
- Current results indicate that most young people who complete the program show significant improvement. Following treatment, there are marked increases in school attendance, academic achievement, confidence, number of friends and involvement in extra-curricular activities and decreases in worry, shyness, fear and family distress.