Credit for prior study

Students may apply for credit to courses in the Faculty of Education for:

  • previous study in an accredited course at a tertiary institution (Credit transfer), or
  • previous study in a non-accredited course or work experience (Recognition of prior learning - RPL).

Credit transfer

On admission, you may apply for a credit transfer (formally known as advanced standing) for units satisfactorily completed towards formal study at another institution.

Sometimes you may be granted a preclusion from, rather than a credit for, a core unit or units based on formal prior study. This means that you will not have to take this core unit but you will have to replace it with another equivalent unit. The course advisor may recommend an alternative unit or you may be allowed to choose an elective, with an equivalent value, to replace the core unit.

Recognition of prior learning (RPL)

Recognition of prior learning allows students to gain credit on the basis of prior learning of a non-academic nature.

This learning can either be credentialled or uncredentialled. Credentialled learning refers to relevant skills, knowledge or competencies that have been acquired from a provider other than an Australian university. For example, education or training provided through employer-based programs, professional bodies and private providers. Uncredentialled learning is learning that is acquired through work and experience.

Faculty limits on credit

A student must still satisfactorily complete, at Monash University, at least 48 credit points in the course, or not less than half the course, whichever is less, in order to be awarded a degree, diploma or certificate for the course.

Undergraduate programs

No more than 25% of the requirements for the award can be granted for a credit based on RPL.

Graduate and postgraduate programs

No more than 25% of the requirements for the award can be granted for a credit based on RPL.

Credit for near passes

Please note that under the university’s Credit (including Recognition of Prior Learning) policy, credit cannot be given for a near pass grade or terminating pass at another institution.

How to apply for credit

Step 1: Download and complete the Credit Application Form

Credit Application Form can be downloaded from the University's Student Forms web page.

Step 2: Prepare supporting documentation

  • For a credit based on accredited study, please supply syllabus details for subjects/units studied at another institution.
  • If you are applying for a credentialled RPL, you should accompany the application with evidence of completion of the non-award program.
  • If it is uncredentialled RPL, you should accompany the application with an RPL portfolio. Guidelines on how to prepare an RPL portfolio are available from the Faculty Office.

Step 3: Submit your Credit Application Form

Submit your Credit Application Form together with the supporting documentation and your course application for admission to a course to your Faculty Office on your home campus.

Step 4: Wait for confirmation

You will be notified in writing of the outcome of your application for credit. If credit is granted you will also be informed of how many units you will need to complete your course.

Further information

For further information please contact the Faculty Course Advisers on your home campus.

Visit the University's Credit and recognition of prior learning web page for

  • the university’s credit policy and procedures and
  • information about the rights of applicants for credit.