Adolescent Counselling (Professional Certificate)
15% discount is available to Monash Education alumni - read more.
When working with adolescents as a counsellor, confidante or mentor, you are not always prepared for the often highly sensitive nature of the information with which you are confronted. This course introduces basic theory and practical counselling skills to help you meet the various needs of young people.
This course aims to meet the needs of the community in the area of adolescent counselling by providing you with the appropriate knowledge, skills and attitudes required to support and guide young people.
- Key factors in adolescent counselling
- Differences with counselling adults
- Adolescent development - biological, psychological and cognitive
- Challenges of adolescence - sleep, peer groups, alcohol and drugs and the internet
- Risk factors and protective factors for adolescence
- Mental health issues including anxiety, depression and suicide
- Micro skills of counselling - what to say
- Counselling theories
- Ethical issues in counselling adolescents
- Self care and burnout prevention for counsellors.
$1,295 (GST free)
15% discount is available to Monash Education alumni. To register for the course as a Monash Education alumni, please contact us on 1300 639 878 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Evening classes of three hours per week over 10 weeks.
Dates and venues for 2018
- August 7, 14, 21, 28,
Sept 4, 11, 18,
Oct 9, 16, 23
(10 x Tuesdays)
5:30 - 8:30pm
NOTE: Registrants in the Clayton course will receive a free electronic tablet with all course materials
- August 9, 16, 23, 30,
Sept 6, 13, 20,
Oct 11, 18, 25
(10 x Thursdays)
5:30 - 8:30pm
Ivanhoe, Lower Heidelberg Road
You do not need to complete any prerequisites for this course. However, it is most relevant if you have worked in areas such as social work, nursing, teaching, community work or have associated work experience.
Assessment tasks consist of:
- class participation/attendance (80% attendance must be maintained)
The Faculty of Education, Monash University, will issue you with a Certificate of Completion, on successful completion of the course.
We recognise the course to the value of one unit of credit (12 points) towards further study in a number of postgraduate level courses. Please refer to our Assessment and credit options.