Connecting Science Practice and Pedagogy in Early Childhood Settings
As an Early Childhood (EC) Teacher and Practitioner this course will build your capacity in teaching science and technology to babies, toddlers, pre-schoolers and early primary years, though innovative, hands on, inquiry-based learning, that connects young children’s everyday science experiences with their learning in EC centres.
The course will link key curriculum documents including the Victorian Early Years Learning and Development Framework (VEYLDF, 2009) and the Australian curriculum science (ACARA 2014) to science teaching practice. You will be supported to develop your expertise in science and technological learning. You will be assisted to identify a range of science learning moments that are embedded in daily life and develop these everyday experiences to science learning experiences through varied pedagogical approaches and intentional teaching strategies.
- Examining everyday activities which elaborate to understand science at daily life.
- Relate with educators' own experiences with science learning through everyday life.
- Translating everyday experiences to science learning opportunities.
- Connecting everyday science experiences to science teaching moments.
- Learning Science using Design technology and Digital Technology
- Understanding science teaching through varied pedagogical approaches to science teaching including discovery approach, inquiry base learning, constructivism and cultural-historical approach.
- Improvised everyday materials will be used for design technology which extend science attitude of children learning
- Analysing individual understandings of science teaching and learning to develop an identity as a teacher of science.
- A range of contemporary hands on learning experiences will be offered for deeper inquiry-based learning using everyday, low cost and low setup activities.
Two days classes of six hours
Cost for 2018
$490 (incl GST)
Dates and venue 2018
June 5 and 12 (2 Tuesdays)
9am – 3.30pm
No prerequisites. This program is designed for all staff working in the field of early childhood education (birth to eight), long day care, preschool and kinder teachers and all participants keen on extending their understanding of teaching science and technology in early years settings.
Your presenter will identify a variety of practical tasks during the course.
This course references the following Australian Professional Standards for Teachers (APST) 1.2, 2.1, 2.2, 2.6, 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, 4.1, 6.2, 6.3 and 6.4.
You will gain a Certificate of Completion.