Coaching Skills for Educational Leaders
An educational coach supports, challenges and empowers others to develop their capacities as teachers. Coaching is a force for change and improvement in schools. Research identifies it as the best form of professional development available: individualised, responsive and intensive.
This course will give you the opportunity to explore and practise a repertoire of skills and techniques applicable to the educational leadership of classroom teachers. Through a series of engaging and interactive workshop sessions, you will be able to apply what you learn immediately in your professional roles, particularly where you are engaged in the professional development of others.
The course focuses on the coaching conversation, which is the means whereby effective coaches build teacher capacity and enrich classroom practice. It equips you, as an experienced teacher, with the skills and approaches of the highly effective coach, to enable you to support the pedagogical development of your colleagues.
- The value and function of coaching skills in the development of teaching practice
- Motivating factors in the coaching relationship and the beliefs that underpin it
- Coaching conversation skills - questioning and paraphrasing according to purpose, active listening, pausing, languages other than verbal and achieving rapport
- The substantive conversation - planning, reflecting and problem-solving conversations with teachers
- Leading data conversations
- Skills for purposeful observation of teaching sessions, the collection of evidence and the presentation of feedback
- Effective leadership and facilitation of Professional Learning Teams
2 days of six and a half hours.
$695 (inc GST)
$1,195 (inc GST) - Residential program only (Torquay). Cost includes overnight accommodation in a studio room and all meals
Dates and venues
29 and 30 July (Monday and Tuesday)
9am - 4pm
9 and 16 August 2019 (2 Fridays)
9am - 4pm
5 and 6 September 2019 (Thursday and Friday)
10:30am - 5:30pm (day 1) and 9:00am - 4:00pm (day 2)
Torquay - Peppers The Sands Resort
18 and 25 October 2019 (2 Fridays)
9am - 4 pm
You should be an experienced teacher who supports the development of student teachers, graduate teachers, or other colleagues.
You would also have much to gain from this course as a PLT leader, coach or aspirant coach.
- Your presenter will identify a variety of practical tasks during the course
- Class participation / minimum class attendance is required.
This course references the following Australian Professional Standards for Teachers (APST) 3.5, 3.6, 5.2, 5.4, 6.1, 6.2, 6.3 and 6.4. This course meets the standards at the Accomplished or Lead Level.
The Faculty of Education, Monash University, will issue you with a Certificate of Completion.