Addressing the Needs of English as an Additional Language (EAL) Students in the Secondary Mainstream
15% discount is available to Monash Education alumni - read more.
How can you maximise the engagement and learning of English as an Additional Language (EAL) students in content areas of the mainstream?
This course is designed for secondary teachers and subject area leaders looking for practical understanding and strategies to support their EAL learners.
The aims of the course are to:
- Understand the principles underlying learning content in a new language
- Analyse the language and literacy demands of content area texts
- Investigate a pedagogical framework which integrates curriculum content and language for EAL learners
- Explore and develop resources that maximise student participation and learning
- Develop a repertoire of strategies for engaging and extending learners across the curriculum
- Establish networks and strategies to share targeted resources for EAL learners.
- Challenges faced by EAL students in the mainstream
- Principles of integrating language and content
- The language demands of mainstream texts (text analysis)
- Metalanguage for talking about texts
- An integrated model of pedagogy for scaffolding learning
- Locating and modifying (as needed) accessible texts
- Creating activities which engage and extend EAL learners
- Developing units of work that support learners.
Two day classes of six hours.
Cost for 2018
$490 (inc. GST)
15% discount is available to Monash Education alumni. To register for the course as a Monash Education alumni, please contact us on 1300 639 878 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dates and venue for 2018
August 15 and 22 (2 x Wednesdays)
9am - 3.30pm
This program is designed for all mainstream secondary teachers who have EAL students in their classes. This program is also relevant for Education Support Staff and EAL coordinators.
Practical tasks will be identified during the course.
This course references the following Australian Professional Standards for Teachers (APST) 1.3, 2.5 (part), 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, 4.1, 6.2, 6.3 and 6.4.
You will gain a Certificate of Completion.