Effective Online Strategies for Education Support Staff
As a community, we are experiencing challenging times due to the current health pandemic and the need for social distancing, and we are also recognising the key role education support staff can play in supporting remote learning. Teachers, parents and students have had to grasp how to learn online, using synchronous and asynchronous delivery, whilst at the same time keeping connected.
This professional development program introduces various technical tools and methods of communicating that education support staff can use to support remote learners, and demonstrates how to conduct online lessons. You will discover how to use conferencing software and how to integrate other technological tools to keep students engaged and connected.
This program will provide you with the necessary tools to support teaching activities and communicate effectively with students.
What you will learn
- Conducting online lessons/tutorials/classes using conferencing software
- Understanding the need for preparation and planning before, during and after online classes for students
- Utilising strategies such as integrating other software and applications to keep students (especially diverse students) engaged and connected
- Using breakout rooms effectively for students with diverse learning needs
- Managing all of the moving parts such as screen sharing, the interactive white board, and annotation tools, as well as your students during synchronous and asynchronous learning
- Undertaking assessment of student’s learning in the online format.
Online program: Six online classes of 2 hours each and approximately 6 hours of other online activities (18 hours total).
You will require internet access and a laptop, computer or other device that will enable you to join a virtual classroom and access an online learning portal. Your chosen device requires a camera, microphone and sound.
When and where
Please contact us for further information on program fees.
There are no prerequisites for this course, however, the course is designed for all support staff / teacher aides working with students with disabilities and difficulties.
There is no assessment associated with this course.
You will receive a Certificate of Completion from the Faculty of Education, Monash University