Men and Paid Care Work PhD Scholarship 2022
- Duration: 3 years and 6 months
- Stipend: $30,000 per year, tax-free stipend
- Location: Monash Clayton Campus
- Start: June 2022
Applications close Tuesday 31 May 2022.
About the scholarship
Monash Education is offering a PhD scholarship for full-time research at postgraduate level. The award is available to an applicant intending to undertake a PhD with a focus broadly in the area of the sociology of masculinity and men’s participation in paid care work.
The PhD research will be part of the Australian Research Council funded Discovery Project ‘Addressing the deficit in men’s participation in paid care work’, which will explore men in low-paid care occupations in Australia such as Personal Carers and Assistants, and Aged/Disabled Carers. The PhD candidate will contribute to the aims of the project, but is also encouraged to pursue areas of research broadly aligned with the project that might be of interest to them.
Possible topics might include, but are not limited to:
- Men and care work in regional or rural Victoria
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander men and care
- Men, masculinity, low-paid care work and class
- Migrant men’s experiences of racism in low-paid care work
- Intersectional perspectives on men and care work
- Digital media and men’s care work
- Education experiences of men in low-paid care work in Australia
We would welcome proposals on any topic and context that you feel is worth pursuing.
The awardee will be determined by a panel in a merit-based selection process.
The scholarship is only offered to the domestic students.
To be eligible you must:
- be a domestic candidate
- have the necessary qualifications to meet the selection requirements into the doctoral program (see Monash University PhD entry requirements)
- be enrolling full time
- not already hold a PhD or equivalent qualification.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.
How to apply
To apply, applicants must complete the Expression of Interest (EOI) form by the closing date stated above.
For further information about this scholarship and the potential areas of research, please email Steven.D.Roberts@monash.edu.