Teaching and Learning
Transforming teaching and learning
Our education system is based on a model developed over a century ago.
The world has changed, and our research looks at the ways teaching and learning needs to adapt and change, and foster new kinds of learners.
Our society is characterised by change, diversity and fragmentation.
Modern education needs to nurture learners who are able to respond to the challenges of an unpredictable future.
Our research seeks to equip educators, counsellors and psychologists to enable learning and development that transforms individuals, communities and societies.
We cast a wide net – from the design of Educational spaces and innovative teaching practices, to developing entrepreneurial thinking.
Our research is future-focused, exploring education across the lifespan of our learners – from infancy to adulthood.
With this focus, we work collaboratively to produce flexible and innovative thinkers and transform teaching and learning.
Leading the way
Monash’s Conceptual PlayLab investigates the links between imagination in play and imagination in STEM for young children. Based on our research, new models and support will be rolled out for early childhood educators, parents and care-givers.
Current funded projects
- Using pedagogical reasoning to explicate expert practice that aligns with national teaching standards
- Researching Curriculum Renewal
- Zoos Victoria Fighting Extinction School Impact Project
- Teachers' knowledge and practice in developing students' multiplicative thinking in Years 3 & 4 2016
- Q Project
- External Evaluation of Explore Learning Sites Critical and Creative Thinking Collaborative Inquiry Project
- Peopling educational policy: realising the new Australian English and mathematics curricula
- Getting Evidence Moving in Schools
- Teacher knowledge and practice of geometry in Kindergarten to Year 6
- Conceptual play: foregrounding imagination and cognition during concept formation in early years science education
- Connected2Learning - Thinking Outside the Square
- Affective imagination in science education: exploring the emotional nature of scientific and technological learning and engaging children and teachers
- Extending Mathematical Understanding for all
- Conceptual PlayLab
- Turning inquiry experiences into robust learning: Exploring the potential of structured mathematics learning sequences
- Teachers' knowledge and practice in developing students' multiplicative thinking in Years 3 & 4 2017
- Evaluation of the Let's Count E-Learning Pilot Program for The Smith Family
- Teachers' knowledge and practice in developing students' multiplicative thinking in Years 3 & 4 2018