Creating Positive Educational Settings for Children with a Disability (Early Childhood)
This course will help you, as an early childhood educator, to meet the Victorian Government Special Needs requirements.
The course is designed for educators in mainstream early childhood settings, including childcare services, kindergartens and early primary years. The aim of the course is to meet with the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers requirement (1.5, 1.6 and 4.1) and the State government's Special Needs Plan.
The Plan outlines the need for professional development for all teachers to support all children, to make early childhood settings more inclusive and ensure teachers are equipped to promote the learning of children they teach who have a disability.
- Australian policies-Disability Discrimination Act 1992, Disability Standards for Education 2005, Australian professional Standards for Teachers (with particular reference to 1.5,1.6 and 4.1)
- Brief overview of National Disability Insurance (NDIS)
- Overview of Victorian Early Years Learning and Development Framework (VEYLDF) and how this relates to all children
- Overview of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), ADHD, Developmental Delay and other disabilities
- Practical strategies to help create inclusive early childhood environments
- Special Needs Plans and how they need to be written
One day class of six hours
$300 (incl. GST)
Dates and venues
Please email us (email@example.com) to express interest in the next program.
There are no formal prerequisites for this course, however, the course is most relevant to mainstream Early Childhood Teachers who work in Childcare and Kindergarten settings.
A variety of practical tasks will be identified during the course.
This course references the following Australian Professional Standards for Teachers (APST) 1.1, 1.2, 1.5, 1.6, 3.3, 4.1, 6.2, 6.3 and 6.4.
The Faculty of Education, Monash University, will issue you with a Certificate of Completion.
This workshop can contribute to the special needs professional development requirements for VIT registration.