Register to teach
VIT registration and evidence of completion
Register to teach in Victoria
If you are due to complete a teacher education course and are intending to teach in a Victorian school, you need to apply for registration with the Victorian Institute of Teaching (VIT).
VIT have provided a PowerPoint presentation with recorded voice over to replace their usual face-to-face information sessions which were cancelled due to COVID-19. All students graduating in Semester 1 2020 are encouraged to watch the presentation before applying to register.
They also provide the following resources on their website, which has detailed information on how to apply and complete an online application:
To assist the application process for new graduates, VIT has an arrangement with Monash University to transfer evidence of your qualification completion to the Institute directly. You will still be required to formally apply for registration to VIT separately, this process is only for evidence of your course completion.
By allowing Monash University to transfer this evidence of completion to VIT you understand that:
- Under Part 2.6 (Victorian Institute of Teaching) of the Education and Training Reform Act 2006, in order to be eligible for Provisional Registration, that evidence of your qualification that leads to registration must be provided.
- Releasing evidence of qualification completion to VIT is solely for the purpose of any assessment of qualifications for teacher registration in Victoria.
- Information obtained by the Institute is subject to the Information Privacy Principles set out in the Information Privacy Act 2000.
- Information received from the University will be stored on secure personal files and will not be released.
- Monash University is not liable for any delay of your application being processed if the record has not been received by VIT.
Timeline and Key Dates
If there are no delays with your results (caused by Special Consideration or other factors), evidence of your completion will be sent to VIT with the first batch of graduates, usually within 24 hours of your final semester results being finalised.
Following that, evidence of completion will be released to VIT in weekly batches for three weeks. If you are course completed after the final batch has been sent to VIT, it is your responsibility to provide proof of your completion to VIT directly.
VIT reporting dates for semester 1, 2020:
- Friday 10 July
- Friday 17 July
- Wednesday 29 July
Should you not wish for us to send evidence of course completion to VIT automatically, you will need to opt out of the process by Monday 29 June 2020. To opt out please notify your Education Success Adviser (ESA) via Juvo.
Register to teach outside Victoria
If you are intending to teach outside of Victoria (interstate or internationally), you will need to apply for registration with the relevant local teaching authority. The requirements for registration may differ to Victoria, but all will require you to provide evidence of your course completion. Proof of qualification letters and academic transcripts can be obtained through the Web Enrolment System from Monash Connect.
There is no need to opt out of the VIT evidence of completion process in this scenario, VIT will ignore any confirmation of completion not accompanied by an application for registration, and your academic record detail is not shared with them.