United Arab Emirates
Professional experience in United Arab Emirates (UAE)
Undertake a professional experience in a well-resourced school utilising the AusVELS curriculum and working with VIT-registered teachers, but with a difference … it is located in the middle of United Arab Emirates!
- Where: Sharjah, one of the United Arab Emirates, located close to Dubai
- When: 18 January 2019 - 10 February 2019
- Who: Pre-service teachers across early years, primary and secondary courses
- Cost: Approx $3000 - $3500, plus spending money ($500-$1000)
At the Victoria International School of Sharjah (VISS), you will be working in a school environment that is distinctly familiar but at the same time very different. While teaching approaches and spaces may be similar to your past experiences in Australian schools, this experience will expose you, amongst other things, to Arabic language and culture as well as to the International Baccalaureate program for the senior years. There are close to 1500 students at the VISS from 64 different cultures, which makes this a truly international experience. There will be numerous opportunities to immerse yourself in the school community by participating in a range of extra-curricula activities.
Please note: the finer details will be finalised before the trip, and might be subject to change.
What's included in the cost
The cost includes:
- Round trip airfare to Dubai
- Accommodation (to be confirmed closer to travel date)
- Transport to and from school
- Free wifi in all areas of the apartment
Items not included that students need to budget for:
- Transfers to/from airport
- Telephone SIM/phone credit
- Toiletries and personal items
- Additional tours and local travel
- Spending money
See what Financial support is available to you.
Opportunities to explore
After school hours and on weekends, you will have an opportunity to:
- Experience the contrasts and craziness of Dubai
- Travel into the desert and enjoy Arabic hospitality
- Marvel at the architectural wonders of Abu Dhabi
- Get lost in the world's biggest shopping malls (try some indoor skiing while you are at it!) and
- Consider using this experience as a stepping off point to more travel in the region or Europe after your placement.
How to apply?
Recruitment for overseas placements runs from March to April and July to August each year depending on the location.
See Applications, selection process and cancellations for more information.
Who to contact?
Dr Rebecca Cooper