Professional experience visits policy
To provide a consistent approach across the Faculty in relation to visits by Professional Experience Consultants to schools, early childhood centres, other relevant educational settings and counselling and psychological organisations/agencies during professional experience.
- All undergraduate and graduate/postgraduate units of study taught by the Faculty of Education where professional experience is embedded.
- Dedicated postgraduate psychology and counselling practicum units.
- All modes of unit delivery (i.e. on-campus, off-campus, OUA, offshore, cohorts, multi-mode) unless contractual obligations stipulate otherwise.
Visits by Professional Practice Consultant to schools, early childhood centres, other relevant education settings and counselling and psychological organisations/agencies during professional experience will occur for the following reasons:
- At the request of school/centre/organisation/agency or Monash staff, to a student(s) deemed to be at risk/of concern.
- At the request of a pre-service teacher, counselling or psychology student on placement.
- To ensure appropriate supervision/mentoring.
- As appropriate, to build collaborative relationships as per the Partnerships and Professional Placements strategic plan.
- Professional Experience
- Periods of placement in schools, early childhood centres, other educational settings and counselling and psychological organisations/agencies that are deemed to constitute the required number of supervised teaching practice days or of supervised psychology or counselling practicum hours and days as outlined in the relevant accreditation body’s guidelines.
- Contact undertaken by Professional Experience Consultants to communicate with mentor teachers, organisers of teaching practice, pre-service teachers, professional supervisors and counselling and psychology students during professional experience (or during other relevant periods related to professional experience). In most cases these will be face to face visits to schools/centres, but may also include email, phone and online communication where deemed appropriate (e.g. for rural, interstate and international placements). For students on interstate or international placements where they are accompanied by the Faculty staff, the visit will be face to face.
|Supporting procedures||Professional experience visit procedures|
|Responsibility for implementation|
|Approval body||Created at Faculty Board 2/13, 29 May 2013, agenda item 6.4.1|
|Endorsement body||Endorsed at Education Committee, Faculty of Education 1/13, 29 May 2013, agenda item 8.6|
|Date effective||29 May 2013|
|Reviewed on||2 May 2018|
|Next review date||1 May 2021|
|Policy owner||Associate Dean (Education), Faculty of Education|
|Policy author||Professional Experience Director|
|Content enquiries||Professional Experience Director|