Travelling in Melbourne and around Australia is convenient. Public transport and facilities including buses, trams, trains, planes, domestic and international airports, coach and train stations as well as bus and tram stops are available for public use. You may consider driving your own transport.

Public transport: trains, trams and buses

Melbourne's public transport system consists of bus, tram and train and is divided into two travel zones. Zone 1 includes the city and Zone 2 includes the middle to outer suburbs of Melbourne. Regional areas are serviced by V/Line.

The closest train station is Clayton where you can connect with a bus to the campus.

The system uses an automated ticketing system called Metcard and can be purchased at train stations, machines in trams, major tram stops and retail outlets displaying the Metcard flag. There are no conductors, however, you must ensure you have a validated ticket as inspectors (Authorised Officers) conduct random inspections. Fines start from $160. Please note international students are ineligible for concession fares. For details on fares and routes, please visit Metlink.

Cars and motorcycles

You can drive on your overseas licence (provided it is a current, valid, full licence) for an indefinite period provided your overseas licence is in English (or you have an English translation*) or you have an International Driving Permit. If you wish to ride a motorcycle, you should contact VicRoads for further licencing information. You can also apply for a Victorian car or motorcycle licence at any time.

You must carry your licence with you at all times when you are driving/riding. If you ride a motorcycle you must ensure that you have necessary lights and safety gear. Please note: drinking and driving in Australia is a crime.

It is also a good idea to join the RACV. If you are stranded with a broken down car, they can provide roadside assistance, or organise a tow truck to a mechanic.

Information about purchasing secondhand cars and motorcycles may be received from general university notice boards. Classified advertisements for car/motorcycle sales in Melbourne can be found in the Melbourne Trading Post, The Age, and Herald Sun newspapers.


No licence is required for riding a bicycle in Australia, however it is compulsory to wear a bike helmet at all times and abide by traffic rules. Failure to do so may result in fines. If you ride at night, you must ensure that you have necessary lights and safety gear. Information on road safety and rules are published by VicRoads.

There are numerous bicycle shops in Melbourne, including one at Union House. Advertisements for secondhand bikes can be found on the noticeboards around campus or the Melbourne Trading Post, The Age, and Herald Sun newspapers.


You can catch a taxi on the street or book prior by telephone. There are also taxi ranks in most busy locations, especially near railway stations, hotels, and the airport. At the ranks, taxis wait in a queue for passengers. Taxis are more expensive after 9pm and at weekends. Remember, the more familiar you are with the streets of Melbourne, the quicker the taxi ride!