Smart Structures and Construction
Traditional technologies in structures and construction are inefficient in both their uses of materials and labour, often accompanied by massive consumption of energy and natural resources resulting in environmental sacrifice. This research addresses these challenges through the development of advanced structural materials, innovative design concepts, and smart construction technologies. The arrival of fibre reinforced polymer composites and engineering nano-composites opens a new opportunity to make lighter, stronger and more durable civil structures. This also embraces an integration design approach where structural components can serve multiple functions. Modern modular construction further facilitates a switch from on-site prototype operation to made-to-measure production with reduced environmental impact.
Leaders in construction with advanced structural materials, design concepts, and construction methods
Transform civil infrastructure through sustainable and innovative structural materials and construction.
- Handbook for the Design of Modular Structures
- Technical Handbook Council (formerly Modular Construction Codes Board)
- Remote composites housing
- Bai Y, Manalo A, and Keller T. Australia Research Council (ARC) Discovery Project, 2018-2021.
- Bai Y, Multiplex Buidling Innovatin Project, 2017-2020.
- Bai Y, Murray-Parkes J. Manufacturing Productivity Networks State Government Victoria, 2015-2018.
- Bai Y and Zhao XL. PhD projects from Australia Research Council (ARC) Industrial Transformation Training Centre. 2016-2019.
- Bai Y. Australia Research Council (ARC) Discovery Project for Early Career Researcher, 2012-2014.
- Keller T, Bai Y. Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF) Project. 2010-2013.
- Duan W. H., J. Sanjayan, ZP Bazant, and CM Wang, 2013-2015, Microplane material models for graphene-oxide-reinforced concretes, ARC Discovery, AU$360k
- Duan W. H., 2013-2017, Novel cement-graphene oxide composite: Understanding its composite structure via nano-mechanics based modelling and experimental tests, ARC Future Fellow project, AU$712k
- Collins, F. G., Duan W.H., and Wang C. M., 2011-2013, Tensile Enhancement of Cements Utilising Carbon Nanotubes to Create Stronger, Lighter, More Ductile, and Easier-to-Build Structures, ARC Discovery, AU$270k
- Bai, Y., 2012-2014, Free-forming and function-integrated composite structures for future green building construction, ARC DECRA, AU$375k
- Zhao, X.-L., Singh, R., Bai, Y., Bandyopadhyay, S., Rizkalla, S.H., 2012-2014, Durability of carbon fibre reinforced polymer (CFRP) strengthened steel structures against environment-assisted degradation, ARC Discovery, AU$380k