Electrical and Computer Systems Engineering
Electrical and computer systems engineers turn ideas into reality.
As an electrical and computer systems engineer, you will investigate, design, develop, test, market and manage a wide range of products and systems.
What is electrical and computer systems engineering?
Electrical and computer systems engineering encompasses biomedical, computer systems, electronics, electrical power engineering, robotics and telecommunications.
This rapidly evolving field works with new technologies and techniques every day. You might design products such as smart phones, virtual reality systems or video games. You might develop tools to repair diseased organs such as prosthetic and cochlear implants. Or maybe robotic medical devices to assist in surgery and rehabilitation.
What do electrical and computer systems engineers do?
This branch of engineering covers many specialist roles.
- Automation and control engineers design, build and operate automatic systems that control our water supply, chemical plants, oil refineries, medical equipment, mines and traffic control systems.
- Biomedical engineers develop new tools to diagnose disease and repair or replace organs such as pacemakers, cochlear implants, prosthetic implants and life support systems.
- Computer systems engineers analyse, design, develop, and manufacture digital products such as laptops, mainframes, supercomputers, virtual-reality systems, video games and cars.
- Electronics engineers design, develop, and manufacture computers, integrated circuits, navigation systems, pollution monitoring instruments and broadcasting equipment.
- Power generation and distribution engineers provide a safe electricity supply network for our everyday needs. They design power systems for aircraft and spacecraft and design and build solar panels and wind-powered generators.
- Robotics engineers design and program systems that perform functions associated with human intelligence such as voice recognition.
- Telecommunications, communications and signal processing engineers design systems and equipment to make information transmission faster, more accurate, more reliable and efficient.
Careers in electrical and computer systems engineering
As an electrical and computer systems engineer you could work locally or internationally in a wide range of industries including:
- Power generation
- Industrial and power electronics
- Automation systems
- Computer programming
- Health care
- Water and energy.
Many graduates also work in large public and private telecommunications, manufacturing and electrical power companies. Others work for defence and intelligence organisations.
You will also be prepared for careers in other industries such as online ticketing, banking and finance - or any organisation that needs to create, store, encode and transmit data or manage complex systems.