Discontinue your course

If you're sure you want to discontinue from your course entirely, you can submit a request for course discontinuation.

If you discontinue after a certain date, you may incur financial and academic penalties. This could affect you if you decide to return to study later on, so make sure you check the penalties for withdrawing from units.

Before you discontinue

Discontinuing means you’ll lose your place in your course, so it’s a good idea to assess your options before making a decision.

Talk to someone

To help you make an informed decision, we recommend you talk with someone before submitting a request to discontinue. You can speak to your family and friends about it, or get some free advice and support by requesting course advice.

Intermission (study leave)

If you’d like to take a break from your studies, you can apply for intermission. This means you can withdraw from your units but you’ll keep your place in your course. See intermission (study leave) for more information.

Support services

We have a range of support services to help you through your studies. You can make a counselling appointment (consultations are free and confidential) or get in touch with Career Connect for careers counselling and advice on study pathways. To find out more, see student support services.

How to discontinue from your course

To discontinue, you’ll need to submit a Request for Course Discontinuation.

If you're an international student and you're planning to transfer to another university, see transfer to another provider.

Related links

Got a question? Monash Connect can help