Changes to personal information

Change of name, gender, date of birth

If you need to change or correct your name, gender or date of birth, you need to advise the University. It's your responsibility to make sure your information matches with external organisations (eg. Centrelink and Australian Taxation Office) we provide your data to. If you don't do this, you're likely to encounter issues.

Important information for HELP loan and Centrelink students

For you to access a HELP loan, the details you provide us (your name, gender, date of birth, home address and Tax File Number) must match the same details held by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO). If they don't match, we won’t be able to verify your Tax File Number and you won't be eligible for a HELP loan. This means you'll need to pay your course fees up-front to the University.

You have to update your details with the ATO directly as we're not permitted to do it on your behalf.

Make sure your personal details at the University match those at Centrelink:

  • to minimise possible interruptions to your Centrelink support payments
  • to minimise you needing to provide proof of enrolment to Centrelink
  • to ensure the University is able to accurately report data.

To update your personal details at Monash:

  1. complete the variation of personal details form (pdf, 0.16 mb)
  2. attach supporting documentation (eg marriage or birth certificate, change of name decree)
  3. submit the form and documents to Monash Connect on your campus.

Change of address or contact number

You can change your address and contact number in the Web Enrolment System (WES). We can't take requests by phone.

Research degree scholarship holders

Research degree scholarship holders must update personal details in WES and also notify Monash Graduate Research.

International students

As a condition of your visa, you are required to provide your address to Monash University.
You can do this by updating your details in WES, within seven days of:

  • arriving in Australia
  • changing your address.

If you're under 18 and on a student visa, you'll need to get Monash Connect to make any changes for you.

Responsibility to notify

It's your responsibility to update any changes to your name and address. We accept no responsibility if:

  • we don't have your current address
  • you don't receive important communications (eg supplementary or deferred examinations, exclusion, discipline, invalidation).

Got a question? Monash Connect can help