Changes to personal information
You can now check your name, email address, postal address, phone number, Monash ID and emergency contact info with our virtual assistant – it only takes a moment, but you’ll need to first log in with your Monash student account.
You want to make sure your personal details always stay up to date.
Change of name, gender or date of birth
If you need to change or correct your name, gender or date of birth:
- Complete the variation of personal details form (pdf, 0.16 mb).
- Attach all supporting documents (e.g. marriage certificate, birth certificate and change of name decree).
- Submit the form and supporting documents via our online form or in person at Monash Connect on your campus.
It's your responsibility to make sure this personal information matches what’s at external organisations (e.g. Centrelink and the Australian Taxation Office). If you don't do this, you're likely to encounter issues.
Important information for HELP loan and Centrelink students
For you to access a HELP loan, the details you provide us (your name, gender, date of birth, home address and tax file number) must match the same details held by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO). If they don't match, we won’t be able to verify your tax file number and you won't be eligible for a HELP loan. This means you'll need to pay your course fees up-front to the University.
You have to update your details with the ATO directly, as we're not permitted to do this on your behalf.
Make sure your personal details at the University match those at Centrelink to:
- minimise possible interruptions to your Centrelink support payments
- minimise you needing to provide proof of enrolment to Centrelink
- ensure the University can accurately report data.
To update your details at Centrelink:
- Log into myGov.
- Select Centrelink.
- Select MENU from your home page.
- Select My Details then Personal and contact details.
Change of address or contact number
Check that we have your correct and up-to-date address and contact number with our virtual assistant.
You can change these personal details in the Web Enrolment System (WES). We can't take requests by phone or through our virtual assistant.
Research degree scholarship holders
Research degree scholarship holders must update personal details in WES and also notify Monash Graduate Research.
As a condition of your visa, you are required to provide your address to Monash University.
You can do this by updating your details in WES, within seven days of:
- arriving in Australia
- changing your address.
If you're under 18 and on a student visa, you'll need to get Monash Connect to make any changes for you.
Responsibility to notify
It's your responsibility to update any changes to your name and address. We accept no responsibility if:
- we don't have your current address
- you don't receive important communications (e.g. about supplementary or deferred examinations, exclusion, discipline and invalidation).