Commonwealth assistance residency requirements

The Australian government provides domestic students with a range of Commonwealth assistance. The assistance available to you depends on:

  • the type of place you have been offered (CSP/domestic upfront fees)
  • your citizenship/immigration status
  • where you live while studying a unit or your whole course
  • the type of course you are doing
  • whether or not you will undertake the course primarily at a campus outside Australia

Citizenship status abbreviations

In the table below, these citizenships statuses and abbreviations are used:

  • Australian citizen
  • BOTP Bridging course for overseas-trained professionals
  • PHV Holder of an Australian Permanent Humanitarian Visa
  • PR Holders of an Australian Permanent Visa (that is not a Permanent Humanitarian Visa)
  • NZ SCV+ New Zealand citizens with a Special Category Visa (SCV), who meet all the criteria for HELP
  • NZ citizen All other New Zealand citizens (who don't meet the criteria for HELP, and are not an Australian citizen or holder of a permanent visa)
  • All NZ citizens Includes those who meet all criteria for HELP and those who don't.

The tables below set out the citizenship and residency requirements for domestic students. Please note, cross-institutional study units are not eligible for SA-HELP.

Got a question? Monash Connect can help