Domestic fees (FEE-HELP)

Most domestic, graduate students (and undergraduates not in a Commonwealth Supported Place) pay the domestic rate for their course. This is payable to the University, unless you have a government loan (FEE-HELP).

FEE-HELP is mostly used by domestic students enrolled in a full fee-paying graduate (non-research) award course. If you change course, you need to re-apply for FEE-HELP.

To estimate your fees, use the domestic course fee calculator (full-fee).

If you're eligible for FEE-HELP, you can apply by the census date.

Course fee payments

We send you a fee statement based on your unit enrolment. If you don't have FEE-HELP, you must pay in full by the due date.

If you have FEE-HELP, the government lends you the balance of course fees that are unpaid at the census date (up to certain limits).

To avoid paying fees for units you no longer want to take, you must discontinue by the census date.

Overdue payments

If you don't pay on time, and you do not have FEE-HELP, we will cancel your enrolment.

Combined HELP loan limits and repayments (from 1 Jan 2020)

The combined HELP loan limit is a cap on the amount you can borrow from the Australian Government to cover your course fees. The HELP loan limit will replace the current FEE-HELP limit from 1 January 2020.

The HELP loan limit covers:

  • VET Students Loans.

The HELP limit (as defined in the Higher Education Support Act 2003) for 2020, is:

  • $152,700 for medicine, dentistry and veterinary science students
  • $106,319 for all other students.

Your HELP balance is renewable. Repayments made on your HELP debt will credit your available HELP balance, up to your loan limit. This means that if you reach the limit, making repayments allow you to access HELP again until you reach the limit. Repayments starting from the 2019-20 income year will top up your HELP balance. You repay any FEE-HELP loan through the tax system once your income reaches a certain level.

More information can be found at Study Assist 2020 loan limit changes.

Your debt remains, even if you don't complete your course. In special situations, you can apply to have the debt removed. See remission of debt.

Loan conditions and limits

FEE-HELP general conditions and their exceptions
FEE-HELP general conditionsExceptions
Covers course fees for study in award courses, which lead to a recognised qualification such as a Bachelor Degree, Graduate Certificate, Masters etc.

See FEE-HELP booklet (pdf, 0.5 mb).
Professionals with a degree from overseas may get FEE-HELP for non-award (bridging) study.

You need a letter from an Assessment Authority.
Available to Australian citizens  
Available to permanent humanitarian visa holders (if residing in Australia for the duration of the unit). Non-humanitarian permanent visa holders may only get FEE-HELP if doing a bridging course for overseas-trained professionals and residing in Australia for the duration of the unit.
Most New Zealand citizens are not eligible. Some New Zealand citizens may get FEE-HELP (if residing in Australia for the duration of the unit) and if they meet all of the eligibility criteria in HELP loans for New Zealand citizens.
For all courses, regardless of when you started studies, the FEE-HELP loan limit for 2019 is $104,440. In 2020, the combined HELP loan limit will be $106,319.

The loan limit applies over your lifetime.
For Medicine, Veterinary Science and Dentistry students, the FEE-HELP limit for 2019 was $150,000. In 2020, the combined HELP limit will be $152,700.
Not available to CSP award courses Where a summer or winter unit is being charged at a full-fee rate and FEE-HELP is needed to assist with the course.
Eligible undergraduates in a full-fee place may use FEE-HELP. There is a 25% loan fee for undergraduate courses.

Apply for a loan

Most students apply during enrolment after entering unit choices.

Type of applicant and their application instructions.
Australian citizens with a Tax File Number (TFN) Use the Web Enrolment System (WES) to apply before census date. You can apply if the FEE-HELP link appears in the Enrolment/Re-enrolment section in WES.

Fill in the Request for FEE-HELP Assistance including your TFN and submit.

Record the transaction number, which begins with FH.
WES is only open for applications during a set time, and closed after census date.

We email the transaction number to your Monash account.
Australian citizens with no TFN You can't apply for FEE-HELP until you have a TFN. You can apply for a TFN through the Australian Taxation Office (ATO).

To prove you’ve applied, request a Certificate of Application for a TFN from the ATO and submit it to Monash Connect. Alternatively, if you applied online and visited Australia Post, submit your Australia Post receipt along with the Application Summary.

Once you have your TFN, change your fee payment option in WES before the census date.
You must initially be a full-fee student.
Permanent Humanitarian Visa holders Contact Monash Connect to request an application form. When you receive it in the post, fill it in and mail it back.

You'll need your passport (including visa stamp) or a letter from the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) as proof that your visa application was approved.
New Zealand citizens who meet all of the eligibility criteria in HELP loans for New Zealand citizens. Complete the New Zealand HELP loans request application. Provide all the visa and residency documentation at least five business days before your census date to start the application process. We'll assess the documents you've provided to see if you meet the residency criteria. If you're eligible to apply for FEE-HELP we'll send you a hard-copy application. Fill it in and mail it back.
Australian Permanent Resident Visa (APRV) holders including New Zealand citizens who hold a permanent resident visa. You can't apply unless you're in a bridging course for overseas-trained professionals. New Zealand citizens must also have a permanent resident visa.

Contact Monash Connect to request an application form. When you receive it in the post, fill it in and mail it back.
See FEE-HELP booklet (pdf, 0.5 mb)


If you can't complete the application in the Web Enrolment System (WES), you'll need to contact Monash Connect and ask for a Request for FEE-HELP Assistance form.

Closing date

You must apply for FEE-HELP by the census date for your unit, or at least five days before your fees are due, whichever comes first. See your fees statement in WES.

Approved applicants get a new fee statement the following week. This shows FEE-HELP is your payment option.
Unsuccessful applicants get a letter within five business days. You must pay your course fees in full or we will cancel your enrolment.

Tracking your payments or debt

Your Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN) has the census dates, your contributions and any government debt you have (indexed each year). Check this every semester in the Web Enrolment System (WES). Use the Dispute button if anything is incorrect. You must tell us within 14 days, or we will assume it's correct and you will be liable for that loan debt or use of study entitlements.

Got a question? Monash Connect can help